Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix??

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #1  

bswiv

Silver Member
Tractor
CAT D5G, Kubota M8540, KubotaB2700
I know that a Cat D5C is not a tractor but I'm thinking someone here will have knowledge on how to rectify this.......hopefully.

What I've done.....twice now......is leave the primary power switch on, once after a filters/oil change and once while the drive clutches were being fixed on one side. The result of this is that a unit with less than 1800 hours on it shows near on double that on the hour meter. Easy to look at tracks & sprockets & pins to verify this but I'd sure like to have the meter closer to correct.

So........what to do?

It has so few hours because it was a Florida Forest Service Fire Plow unit so saw very little use in the 20 years they had it.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #2  
Check the wiring to the hour meter. It shouldn’t click up hours just because the power switch is on.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix??
Check the wiring to the hour meter. It shouldn稚 click up hours just because the power switch is on.

There may be a problem as you suggest because it does not start moving just because you turn the switch. Though there is some sequence of things that gets it going even when the engine is not running. I'll get up in it and mess with process/sequence this afternoon as see if that informs anything.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #4  
Considering the age of the unit prospective buyers might not pay much attention to the hour meter but rely on wear conditions on the unit.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #5  
Take that meter out and install a new one and run it to 1800 hours. The problem is it’ll take 75 days.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #6  
Install a new hour meter and when it registers the number of hours you accidentally added the original one, swap that one back in and it will be correct.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #7  
Or run the original one until it "flips" over to zero, than run until correct hours. I'll bet that will take a long time.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #8  
I know that a Cat D5C is not a tractor but I'm thinking someone here will have knowledge on how to rectify this.......hopefully.

What I've done.....twice now......is leave the primary power switch on, once after a filters/oil change and once while the drive clutches were being fixed on one side. The result of this is that a unit with less than 1800 hours on it shows near on double that on the hour meter. Easy to look at tracks & sprockets & pins to verify this but I'd sure like to have the meter closer to correct.

So........what to do?

It has so few hours because it was a Florida Forest Service Fire Plow unit so saw very little use in the 20 years they had it.

I had the same thing happen twice on my machine. I left the key on a couple times. I'd be in the garage working, and hear a quiet ticking noise. Follow it down the the machine dashboard, look at the key and its on. :mur:

:laughing: I've added about 50 hours to the meter, best I can figure. It's not that important to me.

If you plan on keeping the unit, why bother with it? If you plan on re-selling it soon, then there's not much you can do about it other than tell people what you did and hope they believe you.

When I bought my 1993 Suburban around 2008, it only had about 42,000 miles on it. The license branch refused to believe me when I was getting the title and wanted me to get an affidavit signed by the seller. I thought about it, and then thought, who cares? I'm keeping it till it dies.

So, as others have mentioned, if you plan on keeping the machine, and just want it to be accurate, pull the old meter and put in a new one, run it till it gets to what you think it should be, then put the old one back in service, and you're good to go.

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #9  
It's odometer type and not digital right?.....See if any online speedometer /instrument repair service can open it up and reset it (?)...

And yes if key on it's going to cycle as it is probabaly directly connected to "ON" terminal of ignition switch...

Dale

/ Screwed this up TWICE......how to fix?? #10  
What I have seen done when an hour meter dies is to replace the unit, but write on the panel just above it how many hours were on the machine when the meter died. So hours are whatever the meter says, plus the number written on the dash to get current total hours.