Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question...

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #1  

rdinatal

Gold Member
Tractor
Old: 2016 eMax25s HST, New: 2017 Max 26xl HST
I'm about to put an in-line restrictor on one side of the backhoe boom function. It needs to be slowed down.

The part is this:
Apache 39004276 3/8" Male Pipe x 3/8" Female Pipe Swivel - 1/32 Restricted - Hydraulic Adapter (Style 1404): Pipes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

What to use for thread sealant if any?

Notes:
It may need to be removed at a later time if the hole needs to be enlarged.
I heard Teflon tape is not good.

Have at it. Thanks!

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #2  
   / Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #3  
I'm about to put an in-line restrictor on one side of the backhoe boom function. It needs to be slowed down.

The part is this:
Apache 39004276 3/8" Male Pipe x 3/8" Female Pipe Swivel - 1/32 Restricted - Hydraulic Adapter (Style 1404): Pipes: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

What to use for thread sealant if any?

Notes:
It may need to be removed at a later time if the hole needs to be enlarged.
I heard Teflon tape is not good.

Have at it. Thanks!

Here you go. Per instructions - nothing to contaminate the fluid, and easy removal at later date. Not cheap,but Amazon $5. cheaper than Walmart

Whatever you use, leave a couple of threads clean on the open end so as not to squeeze it into the opening(s).

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #4  
The permetex stuff linked is the same as loctite 545. And yes thats what you need....maybe.

I assume the hose is threading into the swivel part of the restrictor fitting you bough....if thats the case then NO sealant is required there.

The male threads of that fitting....what are they threading into? If its the port on the cylinder or valve then YES it needs sealant there. But if it is threading into another swivel fitting....NO sealant is required there either. So save your money on the sealant

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question...
Hose/male fitting > restrictor swivel/female > cylinder

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #6  
Then you only need thread sealer on the male threads of the new fitting where it threads into the cylinder

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #7  
I use Teflon tape on pipe thread hydraulic fittings all the time. If you're careful to install it so that the Teflon is pulled around the threads while installing then there is no issue.

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #8  
I use Teflon tape on pipe thread hydraulic fittings all the time. If you're careful to install it so that the Teflon is pulled around the threads while installing then there is no issue.

OK, but if one is not sure of his abilities, why would he take the risk.

Use something other than Teflon take and sleep well...

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #9  
"Sealants" are only used on tapered thread fittings.... If fittings have straight threads they usually require sealing washer or 'O' ring or is a precision metal to metal seal,,,,,

/ Sealant or No Sealant, that is the question... #10  
"Sealants" are only used on tapered thread fittings.... If fittings have straight threads they usually require sealing washer or 'O' ring or is a precision metal to metal seal,,,,,
Or a tapered pipe thread threading into a npsm swivel, as long as the malebfitting has the chamfer....which proper hydraulic fittings do.