Searching for a truck I may never find?

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #61  
I know that place. They want $40,000 for older restored trucks.
I’m looking in the 10-20K range. Or up to 25 with a plow
I would look for a dodge 360ci gasser. 4x4. People don’t collect them. So they are basically worthless. Super easy LA360 motor to fix or totally replace for next to nothing $$$. They are so cheap they are mostly not advertised. Ask me how I know. I have a original 69 in mint condition that is worth south of 10k…
IMG_2776.jpeg

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #62  
Wonder if that place makes improvements with better parts and components, not performance enhancing components per say, or just uses OEM replacement part for restores?

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #63  
I wonder if it’s worth your time to take a trip to the southwest to look for a decent truck.
can probably write off expenses at tax time, might catch some sun
Wikipedia lists what they call the "Salt Belt".
640px-Salt-Belt.svg.png

Here in western Oregon, we get plenty of rain, but no salt (other than in the coastal environment). So, very little deep rust.

Anyway, lots of places to look for vehicles.
I prefer a 1-ton because you get more sprung rear for salt spreader.
You know, it is possible that the salt spreader on the back is part of the problem. :p

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #64  
I am surprised by the amount of rust in trucks.
I thought they had that all figured out. Now it seems worse.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #65  
I'm sure you would consider gas if this is what you saw

1704284421006.png

Are you saying this is to big for plowing? Can you believe that when I bought this my co-workers told me I should get a plow for it. What the h... Somebody would have to offer me a lot of $$$$ to let this go. Sadly it has turned over 111,000 miles but I still claim less than 1000 of winter driving. Little surface rust that I keep fluid film on now where the plastic meets metal. Frame, zero rust. But gas as well.

1704284905848.png

That is going to be a hard search. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find?

I'm sure you would consider gas if this is what you saw

I don’t want anymore Fords if at all possible. I had bad experiences with the gas engines (constantly blown exhaust manifold gaskets) and diesel engines (6L/6.4L), except for the 7.3L. It was a good engine, albeit gutless. The 7.3’s also has tissue paper transmissions behind them.

Are you saying this is to big for plowing? Can you believe that when I bought this my co-workers told me I should get a plow for it. What the h... Somebody would have to offer me a lot of $$$$ to let this go. Sadly it has turned over 111,000 miles but I still claim less than 1000 of winter driving. Little surface rust that I keep fluid film on now where the plastic meets metal. Frame, zero rust. But gas as well.

View attachment 842182

That is going to be a hard search. Good luck. Hope you find what you are looking for.​

Yeah that’s much too long for plowing, IMO. I’m doing a couple residential subdivisions and that truck would be like turning around a barge in their driveways.

I would most prefer a regular cab, to keep the truck short, and a long bed, for a salt spreader & room for equipment.

I have found a few duramax regular cab 3500 dump trucks with plows. Not real good for visibility, but I’m trying to open up the search a bit.

Last edited:
   / Searching for a truck I may never find? #67  
Occasionally drove a. 3500 Duramax wrecker. Early to Mid 2000s vintage, comfortable to drive when it ran but spent more time being towed than actually towing yes the Allison was mostly flawless but there's a reason most wreckers I've seen and operated were 7.3 F350 power strokes imo.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find?
Occasionally drove a. 3500 Duramax wrecker. Early to Mid 2000s vintage, comfortable to drive when it ran but spent more time being towed than actually towing yes the Allison was mostly flawless but there's a reason most wreckers I've seen and operated were 7.3 F350 power strokes imo.
That has not been my experience, but I respect your observations.

Remember, I’m talking about a truck with an automatic transmission. There’s nobody more talented at building rugged automatics than Allison. Duramax engines aren’t perfect, but in the vintage of truck I am looking at, they were very good.

Found this. Considering it, but seller won’t send me anymore pictures and it’s like 300 miles away.

/ Searching for a truck I may never find? #70  
I don’t want anymore Fords if at all possible. I had bad experiences with the gas engines (constantly blown exhaust manifold gaskets) and diesel engines (6L/6.4L), except for the 7.3L. It was a good engine, albeit gutless. The 7.3’s also has tissue paper transmissions behind them.
The Ford is my mechanics personal truck purchased new.. Until couple years ago he plowed driveways every winter with it. I've asked when he is selling it. Never. The thing is spotless. It drinks a little with the 460 though not any different than mine with the 454