Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #1  

jrepp

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030HSTC
I have a 20" Sears Craftsman Chainsaw, after I use it and put it away all of the oil in the automatic chain oiler reservoir will drain out. I took it to the Sears repair shop and they said this is normal. This doesn't seem normal to me (a great waste of bar oil). Anyone else had this happen to them?

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #2  
Mine does it, but it is only a 16". I've used more oil that way then I have using the saw. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Other then that it has been a good little saw, other than after the first winter I couldn't get it to start. Took it in for service under warranty and all has been fine ever since. Pull it out of the case - put in bar oil. Spray the case out so it'll be dry by the time you are done. Pull string twice and it'll start.

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #3  
I never had all the oil drain out, but I did always set mine on something to absorb oil, because it always lost some of the oil.

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #4  
The bar oil reservoir builds up pressure when you use the saw. When your done with the saw loosen and retighten the bar oil fill cap. This should solve the problem.

Slam

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #5  
my huskey's always done that, espically when the weather warms up, and the oil thins out.

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #6  
I have an 18 inch sears chainsaw and the bar oil leaks out of it also. A real PITA!!!!. I now store the saw in the case on its side-no more leaks. This should not be "normal".

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #7  
Ahhh but it is normal on all units with automatic oilers. They use pressure to do the job. That pressure will force the oil through the channel as the saw cools. If you release the pressure it will cut down the leaking drastically.

Slam

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #8  
Mine leaks out of the cap. I expect a little off of the chain. The o-ring that is supposed to seal the cap does not. Neither did the new one.

Enidguy

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #9  
All automatic oilers will do this. As mentioned just release the pressure by opening the fill cap. There will still be some leaking out but not much. You have a good chain saw.
PJ

/ Sears Chainsaw Leaks Bar Oil #10  
Jrepp... I actually had this same problem with my 18" saw. Sear's eventually replaced the saw because of constant seal problems. I would not consider it normal. My newer 20" saw may leak a drop or two compared to the whole reservoir previously. Sears probably sells thousands of these things yearly as does Poulan and who ever else makes their saws.... and I don't think the EPA would be extremely excited about zillions of these things "normally" leaking oil into the environment. Slammer suggested letting the pressure off, which is news to me but seems to make sense, so I'm going to start trying that.