Comparison Seating

/ Seating #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So my wife has made it very clear that she expects to drive the tractor and not just once. Not a problem except she has never, so training will be very important. But for now, I need to figure out how difficult it is going to be to find a CUT that will fit both of us. Ultimately, I will need to test drive them, but the current list is over 40 different makes/models. I am 6'1" 230, she is 5'6" and probably the same, I don't know for sure.

My goal with this thread is to learn what tractors have good (or bad) seating. So far, the manufacturers' websites are woeful in that regard. Adjustable is the most they seem to say, if that. Thanks TBN experts! P.S I think this will help others, too.

/ Seating #2  
5’6 isn’t that short. I don’t see you having any problem finding something you can both fit.

/ Seating #3  
When I was tractor shopping a few years ago New Holland had cab models that had "buddy" seats in them, so someone could accompany a trainee...or give the grandkids a ride.

/ Seating
No grandkids. I am not even interested in having them. Kids wore me out. Also, not likely to get a cab. We are both too frugal for that.

How adjustable are the seats? Who has comfortable open stations?

/ Seating #5  
Look for models that have a suspension seat. They usually have far more adjustability than a standard seat. I added one to my tractor and man what a difference!

/ Seating #6  
I'm 5 ft 7" and on my Branson, I had to pull the seat all the way forward, just leaving one or two notches on the rack left, to get comfortable on the tractor. These Branson tractors do come setup for big/tall guys, providing lots of room and lots of travel on the seat rails towards the back.

Shortly after I got the tractor, I noticed a 2" spacer under the seat from factory, so I took it off and fabricated two simple flat bars with a couple holes drilled and this allowed me to drop the seat down 2" and therefore gave me a little bit more travel forward on the rails. This way my sister and mother that are a bit shorter can also drive the tractor easily.

The seat on this tractor is great! Really nice and comfortable as well fully adjustable.

Last edited:
   / Seating #7  
If you need a comfortable OEM seat DON'T buy a Kubota unless you are both 5'6" and 99 lbs wet.

/ Seating #8  
I am 6'1" 230, she is 5'6".

Many people over sixty-five years of age find climbing into a tractor operating station challenging, especially during a hot day. More find it challenging by age seventy years. Mounting TPH implements, especially PTO-powered implements, is a challenge for every tractor neophyte. Fueling a compact tractor from 5-gallon containers is physically challenging. Those with less than average core strength, bad knees or a bad back have to consider if operating a bouncing, suspension less tractor is a reasonable proposition.

I am familiar with Kubota compacts and to a lesser extent, Deere compact tractors.

No compact tractor I have operated has other than fore-and-aft seat adjustment. Due to dust accumulation you have to regularly clean and lubricate the seat rails with some form of dry lubricant or the seat movement changes to seat stationary.

No back tilt. No variable lumbar support.

DeLuxe tractors have tilt steering wheels, economy tractors do not. Kubota Grand L tractors have Grammer (brand) air ride seats.

Within Kubota's line up I find the operating stations to be a bit cramped through 2,800 pounds bare tractor weight (L2501/3301/3901) aggravated by a hump beneath your feet and an immobile steering wheel shaft.

At 3,700 pounds (MX, Grand L) the operating stations are more spacious and the floors nearly flat. MX has an immobile steering wheel shaft. Grand Ls have wheel tilt.

My goal with this thread is to learn what tractors have good (or bad) seating. So far, the manufacturers' websites are woeful in that regard.

I may be corrected, but I expect there is no information to report, beyond fore-and-aft adjustment.

Operating a tractor you are sitting high, looking around in all directions and bouncing most of the time. It is not like operating a car, low to the ground, on smooth pavement.

Last edited:
   / Seating #9  
My Kioti CK has a well padded, adjustable air ride seat. I'm 6'3" long inseam, my wife is 5'4" short inseam. We can both adjust the seat to operate the tractor comfortably.
Patrick

/ Seating #10  
If you need a comfortable OEM seat DON'T buy a Kubota unless you are both 5'6" and 99 lbs wet.

The economy kubota seats aren’t great but the better ones are fine. I see you have a M59 which has the better one. What do you dislike about that seat?