Security Cameras

/ Security Cameras #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I'm thinking about setting up some cameras on our property. I want to be able to see who comes and goes up our driveway and a couple inside the house as well. I would like to be able to access them when we are away and maybe, if possible be able to get notifications when a vehicle enters the property via a text. Also want hi quality images. .. Anyone have recommendations ?

/ Security Cameras #2  
We're going to be doing something similar...it really depends on your software that your cameras all connect to. I believe you can get cameras themselves that will notify you, but I'd expect those would cost an arm and a leg...perhaps more!

/ Security Cameras #3  
Sorry but no, however I will be watching this thread as I am also interested in such a system.

/ Security Cameras
We're going to be doing something similar...it really depends on your software that your cameras all connect to. I believe you can get cameras themselves that will notify you, but I'd expect those would cost an arm and a leg...perhaps more!

One other issue is that atleast 1 of the cameras will have to be wireless. It would be very difficult to run power 1000 feet down our driveway. Maybe a solar or battery unit would work.

/ Security Cameras #5  
I had some nice cameras that were connected to an old 2u rack server that I had laying around with a bunch of cheap large drives in it. System worked really well, sent emails, etc. I got an email that cameras were triggered but could not access the server. Came home a few hours later from work and found that thieves had broken the cameras and stole the old server as well as a NAS that worked as secondary back up with real time mirroring. That wasn't all they got but at least they were savy enough to cover their tracks in today's world.
Long story short THE BOSS demanded a "real" security system not something I "cobbled together" So I went with a monitored panel with wireless trigger devices. I installed several of the camera units that are approved for it, they are wireless wifi but do need power. I have the remote ones on inverters connected to batteries charges by solar panels..... You can set trigger zones in the field of view on the cameras, the system automatically captures the 30 seconds before and after the trigger and uploads the clip to the web. They are "High Def" but not high def enough to get license plate numbers. When I bought them I was told they were the best thing for the money ($375 each) and that to capture plates on a vehicle I would be looking closer to $1,000 each camera.

Mine is a 2Gig (brandname) system and monitored through alarm dot com for about 25$ a month, I think.

I dunno if it is going to make a difference. I did install new gates and new fence around our acreage as well as hung up about 200$ worth of "No Trespassing" and "24 hour Cloud Monitored Video Surveillance" signs up.

Another fact that bears on this topic, the strongest locks, the best security systems, and the most obvious camera monitoring will only keep the honest people out.

This newer and fancier "Real" security was a good bit cheaper than the "cobbled together" system that I built before but it has the benefit of making THE BOSS happier while making her feel safer. AND, they cannot steal the footage of them breaking the cameras the next time :) Trigger zones are set way before they get to the cameras and there are too many of them to take care of without a squadron of thieves.

/ Security Cameras #6  
This newer and fancier "Real" security was a good bit cheaper than the "cobbled together" system that I built before but it has the benefit of making THE BOSS happier while making her feel safer. AND, they cannot steal the footage of them breaking the cameras the next time :) Trigger zones are set way before they get to the cameras and there are too many of them to take care of without a squadron of thieves.

Never heard of that system before, but the cameras seem to be more expensive as well and the $25 per month seems low from what I just saw on their site. Why didn't you just set up a cloud backup solution using you're existing system?

As for the OP, I have a 1250 foot driveway so I am also curious how to handle that...but I don't think wireless will work...many things to consider and figure out...

/ Security Cameras #7  
I'm thinking about setting up some cameras on our property. I want to be able to see who comes and goes up our driveway and a couple inside the house as well. I would like to be able to access them when we are away and maybe, if possible be able to get notifications when a vehicle enters the property via a text. Also want hi quality images. .. Anyone have recommendations ?

I have used the Linksys (now Cisco) WVC80N cameras successfully for several years. They are indoor units and you have to have internet access and supply 12V DC power, but the wireless link from the camera to the router works well. The wireless router that the camera connects to should have port forwarding. You can view and manage the cameras with a browser interface, and they can motion trigger to record video and/or send you an email still photo. They are often available used for less than $100.

/ Security Cameras #8  
I have an old SVAT DVR system and the wired cameras have a cable length limit of ~60'. You can add extensions up to 120' but you start getting terrible signal losses. The system is great and allows remote access as well as sending email notifications. It's a stand alone system with its own display, keyboard and internal disk drive. Basically, a PC. And you can allow other PCs to view or monitor the system if you have a Local Area Network (LAN). But it's limited in its range. All the cameras are on/around the house and need a power supply as well as a video cable.

When I get ready to upgrade, I won't even consider a wired system. It will have to be individual IP cameras for sure even though I'll have to add another router to my LAN. Expect to pay $300-400 for each camera for the better units plus power provisions and a PC you can use for viewing. Many of the better cameras have on-board video storage. I plan on using a solar/battery system for remote locations. But it opens the possibility for better coverage.

/ Security Cameras #9  
Never heard of that system before, but the cameras seem to be more expensive as well and the $25 per month seems low from what I just saw on their site. Why didn't you just set up a cloud backup solution using you're existing system?

As for the OP, I have a 1250 foot driveway so I am also curious how to handle that...but I don't think wireless will work...many things to consider and figure out...

The monthly fees from what I understand are billed by their "partners" it is what the local alarm company charges for monitoring through alarm.com. As for using the old system, some of the cameras were broken and the computer running the software as well as NAS were both stolen in the break in. I could have gone and got another set of cameras but the wife had lost faith in things I installed at the moment. Just the other day she asked why we had paid for what we have now and I reminded her that it was in her "demands" after the breakin.

I thought the cameras were a little pricey my self but I really like the features of them. I have one camera covering the 300 foot driveway, it could cover a longer drive. The cameras can have 8 trigger zones in their field of view. You draw a trigger zone in the field of view and tell the software what percentage of change triggers an event. I get a text when something changes at the foot of the gate, just inside the drive, mid drive and near the house for that camera. It does not record continuous, just the 30 seconds before and after an event. The night vision on them works fairly well.

At any rate the system works and was cheaper of the "package deals" from providers. I am going to add cameras to the barn here in the next few months. I might look into two more of these cameras or get some different IP addressed cameras and use my current network with range extender to get the video to a cloud storage solution. High quality cameras that are exterior rated are pricey.