See Ya Later Bikes

/ See Ya Later Bikes #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
About a month ago, I was cleaning up my bikes since we're moving them.
I called my son Matthew up and he came over to help me wash and wax one of them. We changed the oils and battery on the 92' Sportster and got it running. Man that bike is nice with the 89" S & S stroker motor in it. Super G carb, MC PowerArc single fire ignition, Eddlebrock ported and polished head job, roller bearing rocker arms, MRE Air shifter and 2" straight exhaust. It looks like a circa 70's cafe' racer on Steroids. I've owned that bike since new and did all the engine work and mods to it myself. Anyway, I've been thinking of getting rid of it and keeping the Electraglide. So after we got the bike running, I flipped the keys to Matt and told him it was his. Tears welled up in his eyes and mine too. It was a special moment.

So today, I realize I still love riding but will have less time to do so. We've got so much to do around the new Log Home yet. With that in mind ... Well, today is Aaron, my oldest son's 34th birthday.
I've decided to flip him the keys to my Electroglide.

I just realized this is the only photo I have of that bike. I looked for my camera to snap a bunch of pics but guess what, I left it at the 3R home.:confused: It's a 1990 Electraglide Sport modified to look like a '57 Duoglide sort of. It's got MC PowerArc single fire ignition, Sampson exhaust, S & S 88 inch big bore kit and a bunch of other goodies on it. Only 3,380 miles since I rebuilt it since I crashed in 2000.
Man, this bike is cool.

Anyway, I'm riding it up to Apple Valley this afternoon, wishing him a happy birthday. Loretta will follow me in the Jeep. I told him we wanted to visit because we had a birthday present for him. Then, as we get ready to go home, I'll flip him the keys and tell him that's his present. He's married and got 4 kids and no way could he ever afford to buy one himself. So I'm hoping he'll love it as much as my other son did when I gave him the other bike.
This is my favorite one too, I love this bike so much.

/ See Ya Later Bikes #2  
Great story! I rode a charity poker run for Muscular Dystrophy today when I should've been here on the tractor ripping out more multiflora roses and bittersweet. Mine's a 2006 VRSCD Nightrod. I came to Harley by way of much quicker brands and that one was a nice way to ease into cruising.

A lot of people I know that don't have bikes but do have kids tend to put off buying bikes til later not just because of the cost but also because they don't want to do anything too risky when the children are young and dependent.

Is your son (or his wife) with the 4 kids likely to ride a lot right now?

Either way it is a generous move(s) on your part! When you get that log home in shape will you get another bike?

/ See Ya Later Bikes #3  
Rob
I can be adopted I'll even pay the attorney fees!:D

Isn't it great when you see the look on their faces :eek: when you give them something that was out of reach for them and you can get to see them enjoy it.

tom

/ See Ya Later Bikes #4  
That's pretty awsome on your part. Really awsome for your sons. I hope they like them as much or more than you did. I hope to be able to do for my children like that one day, but I need children before I can give them anything.

Brad

/ See Ya Later Bikes #5  
Good Evenin Rob,
Can I be son #3 ??? ;) :)

All kidding aside, thats the way to do it ! I owned 2 sporties, a 1971 and a 1976. The 71 was a 900 with the shift on the right and then I bought the 76 with the conventional shift, took a bit of time to get used to ! ;)

I must of had a dozen different bikes through the years but two years ago my youngest boy bought a brand new Superglide 6 speed that I just fell in love with, but this spring he sold it out from underneath me ! :confused: You see he kept it in my garage and I had cart blanche use of it, darn nothin lasts forever ! :)

Hey, your a great Dad !!! Good story ! Thanks ! :)

/ See Ya Later Bikes #6  
You're a cool dad!
I hardly ever ride mine anymore. Not enough time, too much time on the road away from home. Weekends are busy. Still, when I get a chance, I go for a short run around. You gotta build another, so you can ride with your sons. They'd love it.

/ See Ya Later Bikes #7  
Good job dad! :)

My dad drove a stock 70 Nova with bench seats, 3 on the tree and a straight six engine. He never flipped me the keys and I was kinda glad! :D

/ See Ya Later Bikes
I delivered the bike a little while ago, and I can tell you the 45 miles up the hill was a great (last?) ride. It was around 90F degrees so a perfect "T" shirt ride for me.
He (Aaron) absolutely flipped when he realized what I was doing. I started by giving him a couple of old boxes (in the Jeep) which contained my riding leathers, gloves etc. and then the original HD Owner's Manual with the keys inside that.
That's when it hit him.
He's got several buddies that ride so this will give him and his wife a chance to join in the runs.
I've been very fortunate in my life, especially with all my wonderful kids and grandkids. I have everything I ever wanted and now I have peace of mind that I made them super happy. lol ... Now to figure what to give the other 5 kids later since I'm out of bikes. My ex took one and sold it, and I had 3 others in the past which I crashed, including a nice '65 Bonneville. You other guys will have to wait your turn too, hahaha. So maybe one day I'll build another, who knows?
For now, driving the tractor is a thrill for me. But riding is as close as you can get to flying.:)

/ See Ya Later Bikes #9  
My son is 9 years old and he tells everyone that I am going to hand him the keys of my '88 Kawasaki Eliminator when he's old enough to get his licence...

CIMG0073Small-1.jpg

I've owned that ZL for close on 20 years.

He might be lucky, you never know....

May your boys ride safe and continue to keep those scooters clean and shiny!!

Blag

/ See Ya Later Bikes #10  
3RRL said:
I delivered the bike a little while ago, and I can tell you the 45 miles up the hill was a great (last?) ride. It was around 90F degrees so a perfect "T" shirt ride for me.
He (Aaron) absolutely flipped when he realized what I was doing. I started by giving him a couple of old boxes (in the Jeep) which contained my riding leathers, gloves etc. and then the original HD Owner's Manual with the keys inside that.
That's when it hit him.
He's got several buddies that ride so this will give him and his wife a chance to join in the runs.
I've been very fortunate in my life, especially with all my wonderful kids and grandkids. I have everything I ever wanted and now I have peace of mind that I made them super happy. lol ... Now to figure what to give the other 5 kids later since I'm out of bikes. My ex took one and sold it, and I had 3 others in the past which I crashed, including a nice '65 Bonneville. You other guys will have to wait your turn too, hahaha. So maybe one day I'll build another, who knows?
For now, driving the tractor is a thrill for me. But riding is as close as you can get to flying.:)

Sir, for many reasons other than just giving your son a bike, you've accomplished, at least for myself one of the greatest things you can do in your life, being a wonderful parent.