Selfies - actually a form of population control ?

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #21  
There's a book I bought years ago called Over the Edge, Death in Grand Canyon. The author researched all the deaths from when it became a national park. Before I got this book I got Death in Yellowstone. That one starts off with a grisly tale that happened in the 80's or 90's? of a guys dog runs off into a scalding hot thermal pool and without thinking he runs in after it. Geez...talk about getting your attention. It also goes through thee history.

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #22  
i'm of an older boomer generation, so guess i'm missing out on a lot of stuff like selfies
imho from my limited perspective, selfies merely reflect a self indulgent narcissism via the compulsive need for social media coverage.

Couldn't agree more, and bought this shirt to commemorate the phenomena. Sad thing is 'young people today' (just putting on my geezer hat!) have been raised with it, and have no self-awareness on the matter. This includes privacy issues as well. Toukow

Attachments

• IMG_3182 (002).JPG
    IMG_3182 (002).JPG
    965.1 KB · Views: 273
   / Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #23  
With digital media, it's tempting for me to want to take pictures of my various activitities. Otherwise, I feel like the experience is gone forever, and what has one done with ones life? A little bit of immortality if you like. Or like they say here, no picture, never happened!

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #24  
IT, I do that too; partly because I might/might NOT remember how I did something, and need to do another one :rolleyes:

But I just read several pages of that wiki link, and came to the conclusion that Darwin's still going strong. I now believe that the TRUE reason smart phones were invented was to improve the gene pool... Steve

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #25  
Not sure about that. A human brain needs to be used. When you have a brain in the phone, and dont use yours anymore, it is a problem.

I was watching some old Fleetwood Mac videos yesterday, and as I was observing the individual artists, I realized that was in a time, when there was no such thing as wireless phones. Yet they managed to live and prosper. They were not in constant contact and communiction with others.

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #26  
I'm not sure you caught my meaning - I was referring to the number of people that were injured or killed by taking DANGEROUS selfies - quite a number of idiots that won't be "contributing" to the human gene pool any more... Steve

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #27  
No, I get ya. I am just suggesting that the phones might not just kill people using them outright, but cause a real dumbing down of humans in the long run. And this technology is new. I shudder, thinjking about a hundred years of this.

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #28  
Yeah, I agree - I think that's definitely a factor, but I've seen instances that pointed that way back in the '60's - my junior year in high school algebra class I got kicked out of class for showing my teacher how to use a 10 FOOT long slide rule, after he botched it a couple times - I've thought ever since that tenure was a BAD idea.

To this day, rather than "lose it" I'll work out math problems in my head in between the scans of traffic, all mirrors, etc. - My kids, and now grandkids, all know that if they don't pay attention when I'm showing 'em something then the answer to their next "can I" is gonna be "yeah, right"... Steve

/ Selfies - actually a form of population control ? #30  
No, I get ya. I am just suggesting that the phones might not just kill people using them outright, but cause a real dumbing down of humans in the long run. And this technology is new. I shudder, thinjking about a hundred years of this.

That future has pretty much already been portrayed in the movie Idiocracy.

When that movies was made ("way back" in 2006) it was intended to be a lowbrow comedy, but as the years have passed it's unfortunately started to seem more like a prophecy..... particularly when combined with the growth of large scale group-think, and loss of actual individuality (where disagreements are naturally going to occur due to differing perspectives, and it's accepted as such).