Flail Mower Selling & Buying a flail mower.

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #1  

Aquamoose

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I’ve got a 48” Rhino commercial duty gas powered tow behind flail mower that I can’t comfortably tow behind my 2wd ATV to take care of ground cover in my wood lot but I’d like to sell it and use the funds to buy a PTO flail mower for my Branson.

Problem is, I have a hard time figuring out the value in which to list it at. Are they rare as I think they are with little value or is it that no one wants to sell them because of how useful they are?

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #2  
If the unit is average to good condition. Then the price you should sell it for should be somewhere between half what you paid for it, up to and including 80% of what you paid for it.

The better the unit is - the closer to 80%. Honestly - yours is the first self powered flail I've ever seen.

I would just guess - it should be pretty easy to sell. Doesn't take a tractor to operate it.

Watch out today Aquamoose - - going to be the hottest day, so far, this year.

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #3  
Pictures of the flails an rotors?

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #4  
I’ve got a 48” Rhino commercial duty gas powered tow behind flail mower that I can’t comfortably tow behind my 2wd ATV to take care of ground cover in my wood lot but I’d like to sell it and use the funds to buy a PTO flail mower for my Branson.

Problem is, I have a hard time figuring out the value in which to list it at. Are they rare as I think they are with little value or is it that no one wants to sell them because of how useful they are?

View attachment 562426

View attachment 562427

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Hello and Good Morning Aquamoose,

I am prefacing this having owned and operated motorized flailmowers for 38 years and owning 2 of my fathers Lawn Genie Pickup mowers.

You will have a hard time selling it because its been 35 plus years since a towed motorized flail mower was sold in the United States. They sell a lot of them in Europe as they use quad bikes as 4 wheel drive mules for a lot of the work they do over there.

I am going to suggest that you save it for a number of reasons;

The wheels and wheel bearings need to be replaced with heavy roller bearings. I did this with my current lawn genie as the
wheel bearings and wheels were so worn that they had worn through both the wheels axle bore and damaging the wheels.

You can obtain new 2 piece wheels and heavy roller bearings with tubes from Palmetto tire and wheel in the Carolinas.

Also making the hitch longer by a foot or so will help you with backing as you will not have to turn so wide when mowing in forward drive and to make it move backwards when mowing.

The Briggs & Stratton I/C engine on your flail mower is at least 38 years old and you can still obtain parts for it.

You should think about having the rear tires loaded on your 4 wheeler with windshield washer fluid for liquid ballast and then you will have much less difficulty with towing, moving it in reverse and operating it in general.

You can fill the rear tires like I did by purchasing a tire filling valve from gemplers and using an old piece of garden hose and a funnel to fill both rear tires and you should not need much more than 3 gallons of windshield washer fluid to do it.
My JDLA115 was worthless when trying to mow or clear snow with chains and rear weights without filling the rear tires.

The heavy roller bearings are not expensive to purchase from Palmetto tire and wheel either and you will be able to install them yourself.

If you are not comfortable doing the work any good auto repair shop or machine shop can do the work quickly as you will need to drill a hole in each axle stub and thread it to hold a new bolt and large washer to hold the new wheel(s) in place with a heavy washer as the roller bearing adn wheel axle bore will be larger.

Not trying to scare you but the repair work is not that hard to do either.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you have more questions.

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #5  

View attachment 562426

View attachment 562427

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Hello and Good Morning Aquamoose,

I am prefacing this having owned and operated motorized flailmowers for 38 years and owning 2 of my fathers Lawn Genie Pickup mowers.

You will have a hard time selling it because its been 35 plus years since a towed motorized flail mower was sold in the United States. They sell a lot of them in Europe as they use quad bikes as small 4 wheel drive mules for a lot of the work they do over there.

I am going to suggest that you save it for a number of reasons;

The wheels and wheel bearings need to be replaced with heavy roller bearings. I did this with my current lawn genie as the
wheel bearings and wheels were so worn that they had worn through both the wheels axle bore and damaging the wheels.

You can obtain new 2 piece wheels and heavy roller bearings with tubes from Palmetto tire and wheel in the Carolinas.

Also making the hitch longer by a foot or so on the tongue end will help you with backing when mowing in forward drive and to make it move backwards when mowing.

The Briggs & Stratton I/C engine on your flail mower is at least 38 years old and you can still obtain parts for it.

You should think about having the rear tires loaded on your 4 wheeler with windshield washer fluid for liquid ballast and then you will have much less difficulty with towing, moving it in reverse and operating it in general.

You can fill the rear tires like I did by purchasing a tire filling valve from gemplers and using an old piece of garden hose and a funnel to fill both rear tires and you should not need much more than 3 gallons of windshield washer fluid to do it.
My JDLA115 was worthless when trying to mow or clear snow with chains and rear weights without filling the rear tires.

The heavy roller bearings are not expensive to purchase from Palmetto tire and wheel either and you will be able to install them yourself.

If you are not comfortable doing the work any good auto repair shop or machine shop can do the work quickly as you will need to drill a hole in each axle stub and thread it to hold a new bolt and large washer to hold the new wheel(s) in place with a heavy washer as the roller bearing adn wheel axle bore will be larger.

Not trying to scare you but the repair work is not that hard to do either.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you have more questions.

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #6  
When filling tires, I prefer Rimguard (beet juice). It is 33% heavier than windshield fluid (~10.5 lbs/gal).

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower.
Oosik, definitely warm! I’m limiting work to cooler days & avoiding middays.

To all: The mower is a good mower and it does very well. You know what they say about older equipment, they’re built to last and the construction is very stout. Its massively heavy, thanks to the thick steel walls. I’ve taken care of the engine and it fires right up every time without fuss. The wheels are in good shape spins well and the roller bearings is smooth (takes forever to stop)

In itself, it’s does what I ask for but I’d like to get a different flail for the following reasons:

- It has knives, I need rough-cut style duck scoop blades for cutting woodsy lots.
- It’s 48” wide. Too narrow for my Branson 3520h & takes longer to mow.
- I’d like to own just one flail mower to hook up to the tractor.
- Weighs too heavy for the 250 atv I own (and catches on ruts, restricting forward progress)
- It doesn’t have rear rollers anyway, just an “anti-scarf” bar.

Basically, I just need the right implement. I bought it used back when I didn’t have a tractor and it did well on parts of the property but now I want it to do all of it.

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower. #9  
Hello and good evening Aquamoose,

Now that I know a bit more about your situation have you decided on a brand of flail mower??

As you are on the west coast the Vrisino folks may be an option for you as they occasionally have used flail mowers that they have taken in on trade and they rebuild, repair and paint them to sell as repaired used units and perhaps asking if they have any used units to sell it would would be worth your time to ask if they have any used inventory to sell.
Their flail mowers and shredders can be equipped with scoop knives also.

How far are you from Skykomish or are you on the desert side of Wenachee?

Leon

/ Selling & Buying a flail mower.
Hello and good evening Aquamoose,

Now that I know a bit more about your situation have you decided on a brand of flail mower??

As you are on the west coast the Vrisino folks may be an option for you as they occasionally have used flail mowers that they have taken in on trade and they rebuild, repair and paint them to sell as repaired used units and perhaps asking if they have any used units to sell it would would be worth your time to ask if they have any used inventory to sell.
Their flail mowers and shredders can be equipped with scoop knives also.

How far are you from Skykomish or are you on the desert side of Wenachee?

Leon

I’m from Deer Park, just north of Spokane. Definitely would give them a call to consider my options. I was looking a Titan flail mowers with the though of making a few improvements based on reviews before putting it to work.