Selling paper wood vs selling firewood.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
Hardwood paper wood brings $22 a ton locally. This mill is only a paper wood wholesaler so I’m sure it’s worth more somewhere else, but with my current equipment I can only haul about 9 tons so it would have to be worth a substantial amount more to justify the drive. Firewood brings $50 a rick and I’m guessing it’s about a ton. I usually charge for the delivery but it’s not enough to make any money. It’s enough to cover fuel and wear on my truck. That really means I’m getting $28 a rick to cut, split, and load a rick of firewood. There’s a lot of trees they won’t take as paper wood, but I still have to cut firewood for myself and 2 other people. Note, I don’t cut down trees to sell for firewood and I won’t cut down trees to sell for paper wood. All the logs I get are either off my place that needed to come down, a lot that I’m clearing or tree guys that usually pay me to get them. What’s your thoughts in which way is a winning proposition. Another note, my other sources of income are slow this time a year. I don’t need the extra money but I don’t like sitting around and nobody complains about more money.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #2  
I had to lookup what a rick is

Firewood Measurements – World Forest Industries

Around here firewood is only sold by the cord

The face cord was used around here years ago but the consumer protection folks stopped it as many customers were getting ripped off thinking they were getting a cord

Andy

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #3  
I guess my question would be just how picky they are for "paper" wood?

Does it have to be good solid wood? What about a little rot/decay? would that get rejected?

What about bark? Do they deduct you for that? What is the size limits? Why couldnt one load up the stuff thats no good for wood? Brush, etc?

Since its by ton...do they deduct for green/wet wood?

How do they take the wood? By the log? or do you still have to cut to small pieces?

When a tree is cut down...making firewood is inherently wasteful. If this process could make use of more of that "waste"....and taking the customer out of the equation....and not having to cut, split, stack, or handle as many times...$22/ton dont sound bad.

BUT....a rick is NOT a ton on average. Most wood (seasoned) is about 3000-3500# per cord. So a rick would be 1000-1200.

So at $22/ton you would actually only be getting $11+/- per rick.

Too many unanswered questions at the moment to comment further

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #4  
Washington:

Firewood information

The legal measure for firewood in Washington is the cord or a fraction of a cord. Sellers may not legitimately use terms such as "truckload," "face cord," "rack" or "pile." These terms have no legal definition and cannot, therefore, be used as a measure for the amount of firewood being sold. Only packaged wood, such as kindling or a very small bundle of firewood, may be sold by the cubic foot or a fraction of a cubic foot.

Bruce

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #5  
$22/ton is nothing. A 10 ton truckload for $220? You couldn't buy fuel for the truck for that. That's truck length logs, right?

I don't have any idea what I use as far as measured units. I cut and pile it, then cut and split as needed. I couldn't imagine cutting and splitting enough to sell at any type of profit when I added in costs of oil and gas to run the tools.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #6  
As to your specific question,you would know best for your particular situation and economics.

Here, many guys are selling bagged camp fire wood, for sale in front of gas stations and stores. There is better profit apparently.

Also, some guys buy a truckload of firewood delivered in log lengths for their own use. They claim it's cheaper than going to the bush, dealing with limbs and tops and having to transport the load.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #7  
We call it pulpwood. You can get rid of wood such as white birch and some aspen (poplar) that people don't necessarily want in their firewood pile. You also won't need to dicker about prices; they pay you for the weight that the scales say. You may have to verify where the wood came from; in this state every load has a slip which accompanies the wood.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood.
I guess my question would be just how picky they are for "paper" wood?

Does it have to be good solid wood? What about a little rot/decay? would that get rejected?

What about bark? Do they deduct you for that? What is the size limits? Why couldnt one load up the stuff thats no good for wood? Brush, etc?

Since its by ton...do they deduct for green/wet wood?

How do they take the wood? By the log? or do you still have to cut to small pieces?

When a tree is cut down...making firewood is inherently wasteful. If this process could make use of more of that "waste"....and taking the customer out of the equation....and not having to cut, split, stack, or handle as many times...$22/ton dont sound bad.

BUT....a rick is NOT a ton on average. Most wood (seasoned) is about 3000-3500# per cord. So a rick would be 1000-1200.

So at $22/ton you would actually only be getting $11+/- per rick.

Too many unanswered questions at the moment to comment further

It’s between 4”-22” inches. Any log thats over 10-14” that’s pretty good will bring more in lumber. They buy it green at that rate. It also has the bark on at that rate. They want it 12’ long minimum so very little cutting. They don’t take bad rotten stuff but I don’t think they reject a little rot. I’m betting a rick of 16” long green oak is a lot closer to a ton than 1100 pounds. They don’t take really crooked stuff though.

/ Selling paper wood vs selling firewood. #10  
I really don't understand how a person can get away with selling anything by using an unrecognized unit of measure. Oh, well - there is a sucker born every day. A cord is the only recognized unit of firewood measure around here. Webster indicates that a "rick" is a unit of measure most commonly used for hay or straw - - go figure.