Serious snow removal in Japan

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
My wife, knowing about my tractor forum interests, and watching me plow some snow today (first time this winter!) sent me this link:

How to Clear a Path Through 60 Feet of Snow, Japanese Style | Atlas Obscura

I grabbed some photos from the link... too bad there wasn't a video!

6841197557_a801b14429_o[1].jpgimage[1].jpgimage[4].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Serious snow removal in Japan #5  
That scares me. If we reached that tipping point (and it happens quickly) in an Ice Age Event, we would be totally screwed! Nature really does have the ability to overwhelm us and our limited (feeble) resources.

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #6  
That scares me. If we reached that tipping point (and it happens quickly) in an Ice Age Event, we would be totally screwed! Nature really does have the ability to overwhelm us and our limited (feeble) resources.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That always reminds me of the deep snow pack they have to clear to open the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park.
It get that deep in places in Scotland also

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #7  
As I was growing up in SW Colorado, we had some really big snows.

Wolf Creek Pass is built on a steep mountain, and it is a cliff on both sides. One up, one down.

In the winter, the snowbank was so high, that it was similar to those pictures, although not to that degree. I remember that it was like a tunnel though. So probably around 10ft at the cliff face shoulder.

IT was probably the safest time to drive that pass, despite the time of year.

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #8  
Been across wolf creek pass, in the summer. Love that hairpin turn on the west slope. Beautiful area.

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #9  
Every time I click a link on the forum it comes up in a new window with about:blank in the address bar

Anyone else getting this error?

/ Serious snow removal in Japan #10  
I was stationed at Misawa Air Base in Japan twice.

Misawa is at the extreme Northern tip of the main island (Honshu) in Aomori Prefecture. If you traveled due West across the Sea of Japan, you'd hit the Northern border of North Korea.

SERIOUS snow every winter.

Can't say I saw quite THAT much snow, but 60" per month Dec-Mar was not unusual.