Service manual on cd

/ Service manual on cd #1  

old8nguy

Tractor
52 8N
Anyone ever use one of these? I can get one for around $20 compared to 175-200 for an actual manual. Just curious if they’re worth having.

/ Service manual on cd #2  
Anyone ever use one of these? I can get one for around $20 compared to 175-200 for an actual manual. Just curious if they’re worth having.
I don’t have one, but I’m considering buying one. No way will I spend a couple hundred bucks on a hard copy notebook when I can spend $20-30 for the same thing electronically. You can always load the file to a tablet to take to the shop, or print out a few pages to use. Or you can buy a package of printer paper and a cheap three ring binder for about $10 total and make your own shop notebook. This has the added benefits of being able to print new replacement pages when they get worn or greasy.

/ Service manual on cd #3  
I bought one for around $20 last year. My advice is don't buy it because language errors are terrible. Just bought one for 37.50$ online from FL. Only problem with this one is the supposedly parts PDF does not show part numbers, instead it shows the parts but only tells a time schedule to replace them. Have not heard back from the seller in regards to parts list. The repair manual appears to be "factory perfect". The website is "The Repair Manual"

/ Service manual on cd #4  
I have a few of the CD based manuals and I can say that if it's TOO cheap, it's almost GUARANTEED that it's gonna be just PICTURES of the pages of a paper manual - not TOTALLY useless, but definitely not as useful as it COULD be - here's why -

The "pictures of pages" means that there is no SEARCH function possible - in other words, say you're working on a differential problem - with the cheapo manual, all you can do is find the PICTURE of the contents page - it might say enough to get you to where SOME of the info is, so you find THAT page - but maybe there's not enough info there, and unless you wanna spend the time reading EVERY picture of each page, that's all you're gonna find -

I've been dealing with tech stuff since I got my first car 61 years ago, and it's been my experience that VERY FEW manuals will tell you in their INDEX pages, where ALL instances of a word are located, just some of 'em -

BUT - if an "electronic" manual is done CORRECTLY, it will be SEARCHABLE - this CANNOT be done from just PICTURES, those pictures of pages need to be converted into ASCII text so the computer can find "differential" as a WORD, not just a picture.

This takes time and effort, so the "cheapies" don't bother - typically a SEARCHABLE version will cost 2 to 4 TIMES as much, but in my experience it's WORTH IT - my "searchable" e-manuals will let me find EVERY SINGLE instance of a word, no matter WHERE in the manual it is.

That's something even a $300 original PAPER manual might not do - it all depends on the original WRITER of the manual, and whether they understood the VALUE of a COMPLETE index.

The GOOD news - it's EASY to make SURE you get the SEARCHABLE version of a manual on disk - if the one you're looking at BRAGS about it being "SEARCHABLE", then that version was created using the EXTRA STEPS to make it "computer friendly", AKA "SEARCHABLE" - If the ad does NOT mention the word SEARCHABLE, then it's almost GUARANTEED that it's NOT.

Think about it - everything you ever bought, if something was a strong SELLING POINT the seller would BRAG about it; if NOT, they just don't MENTION it and hope you fall for it.

Anyway, in my experience with "e-manuals" if they want less than about $40 it's probably NOT searchable - around $50 and up, it probably IS searchable, but if you don't actually SEE the claim, it almost always WON'T be.

There's all kinds of people; every job I've had since high school has been detail oriented, some to the point that ignoring a detail might mean not SURVIVING - so even in retirement, I follow what works for ME - others, maybe not so much, or don't care, or can't afford to pay more for something if it's not completely necessary -

Either way, hopefully this info will help you pick what works for YOU without having to pay TWICE... Steve

/ Service manual on cd #6  
maybe I'm just old but i find it invaluable to have a hard copy manual of all my equipment right next to me when I'm trying to fix something. They usually run about $300 bucks but that is worth it compared to running in and out of the house to the computer or printing a bunch of loose sheets of paper don't work for me.

Having a manual right next to me when I am working on stuff has proven time and time again to make the 3 hun to be a drop in the bucket when compared to bringing it to the dealer. Just sold my kids Quad and I had the service all marked up with the service intervals for maintaince and repairs. That really sold the byer. He gave me top dollar for it. 🍻

/ Service manual on cd #7  
I had a cd manual for a Nissan truck. Worked well. If it is from the manufacturer, I would trust it. Considering the cost, it is worth printing the pages needed if you want to have a copy while working.

/ Service manual on cd #8  
maybe I'm just old but i find it invaluable to have a hard copy manual of all my equipment right next to me when I'm trying to fix something. They usually run about $300 bucks but that is worth it compared to running in and out of the house to the computer or printing a bunch of loose sheets of paper don't work for me.

Having a manual right next to me when I am working on stuff has proven time and time again to make the 3 hun to be a drop in the bucket when compared to bringing it to the dealer. Just sold my kids Quad and I had the service all marked up with the service intervals for maintaince and repairs. That really sold the byer. He gave me top dollar for it. 🍻
A $125 tablet can bring your computer based manuals right to your work site....