Dirt Moving Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #1  

jhillsmo

Tractor
Kubota B7510
I bought a one bottom plow from TSC and cannot get it to work. I cannot convince it to roll the sod over. It rises up, leans over and falls back in the furrow. I have adjusted my lifting bar up and down, I set the tractor rear wheel in the furrow, after I got off and hand turned the sod by hand, did not help, I drive fast, I drive slow, nothing seems to work. I have watched the videos on EA.com over and over. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. The draw bar on the plow is 33" wide, EA.com has a plow that is 22" wide for a compact tractor. Is the County Line from TSC to big? The plow lines up straight behind the tractor. HELP!!

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #2  
   / Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #3  
Sometimes the mouldboard is fairly short, and the sod doesn't get pushed far enough to fall the right way. Once the ground has been broken up and there's no thickness to the sod, it'll work much better. My 2-bottom MF plow has "tails" bolted to the ends of the mouldboards to help flip the sod, you could try something like that. It has longer than average mouldboards to begin with, someone here once referred to it as a grasslands plow..

DSC00556.jpg

I had the same problem the first time I plowed.. the trick I used was a sharp left turn at the end of the furrow to keep the last bit of the sod leaning the right way. If I didn't do that, the tail end would fall back, and the whole dam* row would follow like a series of dominoes!

Sean

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #4  
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Some different mould boards. Sod is quite different from stubble.

As mentioned some turning straps may help.:)

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #5  
Different type soils turn over differently. What type soil are you trying to plow? Also the soil will not flow on moldboard wing correctly until it's shined up. Do you have bottom cutting edge setting flat? What ground speeds have you tried?

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #6  
With the tire in the furrow, the plow is level side to side and front to back. You'll have to adjust a little off that.
A faster speed will help flip the sod but a better idea is a "moldboard extension" intended for situations of sod where flipping proves difficult. Often you can get a factory one and if available for yours you will see two bolt holes towards the rounded end of the moldboard.

EDIT--in searching for a photo for you I recall that "extension" mount off the rear of the moldboard but there are also "coverboards" that mount closer to the frame of the plow. These are no more than maybe 4" wide strips of steel that are curled in order to flip the sod.

Here's a picture of an extension

moldb ext.jpg

And here's one of a coverboard. Not a great photo.

cover.jpg

Last edited:
   / Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #7  
My first guess is that you are attempting to cut too wide a furrow for the moldboard. You mentioned that the plow lined up straight behind the tractor. How does it line up in relation to the right side of the tractor? If your moldboard width is 14", the tip of the plow should be 14" inward from the inside of your rear tire.

If you could post some pictures of your setup, it might help us diagnose your troubles.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #8  
My first guess is that you are attempting to cut too wide a furrow for the moldboard. You mentioned that the plow lined up straight behind the tractor. How does it line up in relation to the right side of the tractor? If your moldboard width is 14", the tip of the plow should be 14" inward from the inside of your rear tire.

If you could post some pictures of your setup, it might help us diagnose your troubles.

I think you are onto something with the plough being centred behind the tractor instead of being mostly behind the right three point hitch lower arm.
As previously stated, trash boards and mouldboard extensions can be a major assist.
Also as preciously stated. Until that moldboard is smooth and shiny, it ain't gonna work.
Did anyone mention setting the rolling coulter?

Last edited:
   / Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #9  
That's a good point about side to side position. I'm used to a 2 bottom, so the left furrow position is fixed and the left furrow will tend to hold the right one down. The coulter should be deep enough to cut the sod completely, but usually sod will bunch up and plug the plow if that's the problem.
I'm guessing this ground hasn't been plowed in a long time?

Sean

/ Setting up a moldboard plow on B7510HSD, can't plow #10  

x3 on this advice. Good place to start.