Sewage pumps

/ Sewage pumps #1  

Ian

Tractor
B2710, FEL,Hoe,Tiller,M/Mower
O.K., it's not the most interesting topic out there, but I made a modification to my sewage pump a few years back that may be of interest to someone.

The sewage pump discharge pipe (2-inch ABS) used to go straight up through the wet well cover, then through a check valve, and beyond that to the septic ststem. Whenever the pump quit (clogged, float switch failed, floating grease jammed float switch, etc)I had to cut and re-glue the ABS pipe to remove and reinstall the pump.

This prolonged the job - a VERY bad thing.

I found a large PVC coupling (union) that you could hand tighten and installed it between the check valve and the pump, above the wet well lid. I had to go to a speciality plumbing store to get one, but the pipe now disassembles by hand (seal is made by an 'O' ring).

Now, if I have to move the pump to dislodge grease or a stuck float, I can disconnect the union, twist the pump around, and re-seal the pipe in ten mins. Often, there is no need to remove the lid to the well, which keeps the odor way down. Best of all, since the union is before the check valve, whatever is in the pipe drains back into the wet well - no mess.

I just wish I'd figured it out a little sooner.../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Sewage pumps #2  
Ian, the unions work great. I was running pvc out of a jet pump and then a 90 to go down into the well about 15 feet. I put a threaded connector into the pump, glued it to a short piece of pvc and was about to glue on a 90 and then a 15 foot piece of pvc to go down in the well when I though how am I going to be able to pull the pipe out of the well to clean the filter? I can't unscrew the pvc from the pump since it is glued to the 90 and to the pipe going down into the well so what will I do? My youngest son, who installs and maintains pumps and controllers for water and wastewater treatment plants, was helping me and he said put in a union. So we put installed a union in the horizontal pipe and it works great. I'm sure glad my son was there to help me. The job was done right and done much quicker with his help. My point is that it pays to consult someone who has knowledge and experience. Also, it is nice to have kids that can help. I have to admit that many times our kids know more than we do.