Shallow well pump selection

/ Shallow well pump selection #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

We've got a 25 foot (to the bottom) well we need to get functional on our rural property. The hole is about 4 feet in diameter and it is lined with brick. There is about 4 feet of water in the well. The plan is to install a pump and use this water for whatever is appropriate based on testing after the water has been cycled and perhaps chlorinated. We will also install a manual hand pump. If it turns out to be potable, we'll water the chickens, the garden and let this water source be our backup to the city water currently plumbed to the house. It not, it will be used to wash equipment and whatnot.

The question is what pump would work best? A shallow well (jet) pump seems like the answer, but I dislike having a well house to shelter the pump and tank. I don't know if a submersible would work in this application.

I have considered using a shallow well pump and pressure tank mounted inside the well on a platform. This would provide a space that shouldn't freeze and gets the machinery out of sight. My concern with this plan is dampness degrading the pump and tank over time.

I look forward to your thoughts!

Thanks,
Mike

/ Shallow well pump selection #2  
Is this something that would be used year round, or just when needed? If the latter, maybe a portable pump that can be hooked up when you need water then disconnected. A platform inside the well sounds like it would be cumbersome to install/service. If you're going to need it year round sounds like a wellhouse is the way to go.

A submersible might work providing the water level stays relatively consistent, but I'd imagine it would destroy itself pretty quickly if the water in the well dropped below the intake.

/ Shallow well pump selection #3  
This isn't exactly what you asked, but many municipalities have regulations on the use of wells for those on city water, and what you may use your well for, if at all, may be tightly regulated. You might want to check before getting too far into the project.

To your question: I have seen other folks put a pump on a platform in an old well, though not the pressure tank which is a lot of weight.

If you don't know what you are going to use it for, I would buy a cheap submersible pump, pump out the well for a bit and get it tested before doing much else. Once you know what the water quality is like, then you can go from there.

All the best,

Peter

/ Shallow well pump selection #4  
Check the suction lift limit on the shallow well pump you select. The theoretical lift limit is one atmosphere (when converted to feet is about 32'). Then you have to subtract friction losses and inefficiencies which puts the practical limit around the 20 to 25 foot depth. A submersible would probably be best for you. You can put a limit switch in to prevent the pump running without water.

I have a 4" diameter submersible pump that lifts the water 250' and still has 40 psi at the top. The pumps are much better at pushing the water than pulling it up.

/ Shallow well pump selection #5  
This isn't exactly what you asked, but many municipalities have regulations on the use of wells for those on city water, and what you may use your well for, if at all, may be tightly regulated. You might want to check before getting too far into the project.

To your question: I have seen other folks put a pump on a platform in an old well, though not the pressure tank which is a lot of weight.

If you don't know what you are going to use it for, I would buy a cheap submersible pump, pump out the well for a bit and get it tested before doing much else. Once you know what the water quality is like, then you can go from there.

All the best,

Peter
It doesn't sound like he lives in a municipality. Around here, if you have 38 acres, you're not subject to municipality codes.

/ Shallow well pump selection #6  
It doesn't sound like he lives in a municipality. Around here, if you have 38 acres, you're not subject to municipality codes.
He said he has city water plumbed to the house...

/ Shallow well pump selection #7  
Most codes don't allow physically connecting of wells to any municipal supply, for backup or otherwise. I have a good 3/4 hp shallow well pump for a crock well next to 4 ac pond. Pump is <10' above ground water. Performance leaves much to be desired, as in tough to maintain flow & 'siphoning presssure' in a hose-end sprayer. (Chameleon, etc) A submersible pump may want to be sleeved for proper cooling flow but is all I'd consider if water quality tests ok. Volume-wise a 4' dia well may take as lomg to draw down as a 6" one much deeper, so there's that. YMMV but all wells need a few tests.

/ Shallow well pump selection #9  
At that depth use a Hallmark, 1HP, 33 GPM pump. They are inexpensive and seem to be lasting pretty well. You can even lay it on its side if the water level is less than 5' or so and can't stand it up.
Horizontal Bracket for Sub sized.jpg

/ Shallow well pump selection #10  
For infrequent use and not mission Critical get a a cheap submersible 120v well pump. There about $140.