Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,271  
Exactly. There is no way 80 tonnes is right. That's 176,000 lbs. Can you imagine the wind turbine base that would be required to support 528,000 lbs (3 blades) spinning around?? That's the weight of a fully loaded mine truck. And the size of the brake it would take to slow it down? Ha!

80 tonnes might have been the weight of all the trucks and their loads combined in that video. Or they may just be full of crap.
You might want to do a little research before you make statements like that.
I know a trucker (he used to work for me) that is hauling large blades out west. He said a lot of the big ones weigh over 100,000#. That's why they are hauled on trucks with nine or more axles.

Take a look at this one.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,272  
Exactly. There is no way 80 tonnes is right. That's 176,000 lbs. Can you imagine the wind turbine base that would be required to support 528,000 lbs (3 blades) spinning around?? That's the weight of a fully loaded mine truck. And the size of the brake it would take to slow it down? Ha!

80 tonnes might have been the weight of all the trucks and their loads combined in that video. Or they may just be full of crap.

I agree they’re probably not 80 tons. But they apparently are pretty heavy otherwise they wouldn’t put so many axels under the truck. A Chinook helicopter has a 16,000 pound capacity and it’s a pretty safe bet the blades are a lot heavier than that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,273  
I've never even thought about visiting one of the many windmill sites which have popped like mushroom here, but you guys are making me realize that I should.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,274  
I know a trucker (he used to work for me) that is hauling large blades out west. He said a lot of the big ones weigh over 100,000#. That's why they are hauled on trucks with nine or more axles.

Take a look at this one.
Lol at that amazing music accompanying the vid - Which states 58 tons for the full rotor assembly. Since the center hub is probably at least several tons, if not 10-15, this puts each blade at around 15-16 tons. Not a feather, by any means. Those are probably metric tons in the video, too.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,275  
This is over on the safety forum, but it fits here.

Clearly the couch is backwards. The back should have been toward the center of road, that way anything that fell off would go to the shoulder.

Doug in SW IA

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,276  
The wind farm I worked at they used big cranes like that. They assembled everything on the ground and then lifted the hub and three blades at once. There was a second smaller crane that tilted the assembly as the lift started. It’s a slow process, maybe an hour or two to get it the top of the tower.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,277  
This is over on the safety forum, but it fits here.

Clearly the couch is backwards. The back should have been toward the center of road, that way anything that fell off would go to the shoulder.

Doug in SW IA
There is a right way and a wrong way..... Poor guy didn't have a loader, otherwise he could have been pushing the couch.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,278  

Take a look at this one.

The trucks in the video where "80 tonnes" was mentioned have 6 axles total (3 trailer, 3 tractor). If the blade was 176,000 lbs, the truck, blade, trailer and ballast would be close to double that. Does that seem likely that 6 axles would handle that?

Literally two posts above my post was a screenshot of specs showing weights. Seems like research to me. If a 124' blade weighs about 11,500 lbs and a 155' blade weighs around 27,000 lbs what is the likelihood that a 172' blade will weigh 176,000 lbs? Did you see the size of the cranes lifting the blades onto the trucks? Did they look anything like the Liebherr you posted?

Capture.JPG

Maybe actual facts and logically looking at things is a better way to assess the situation than listening to your 'friend' talk about stuff that may or may not have any relevance? But, hey, we're all just idiots on the Internet so who knows what is right...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,279  
Lol at that amazing music accompanying the vid - Which states 58 tons for the full rotor assembly. Since the center hub is probably at least several tons, if not 10-15, this puts each blade at around 15-16 tons. Not a feather, by any means. Those are probably metric tons in the video, too.
No such thing as metric tons. Right?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,280  
Tonnes, Tons, tuns of arcane or archaic information.

In the US we have
Short Ton = 2000 lbs.
Long Ton = 2240 lbs.
Metric Ton (spelled "Tonne" elsewhere) = 2204.6 lbs. =1000 kg.
Tun = A large wooden cask holding 4 hogsheads or 8 barrels. In the US a tun is 252 gallons so a tun of water would weigh 2100 lbs. or about a ton.