Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,251  
I've noticed some of the newer vehicles come with automatic high beams. The vehicle decides when they switch to low and back to hi.

Wifes new car came with that feature. We tested it out on a back road. Noticed that it tended to switch to low when someone was approaching. But wouldn't switch to low if you were following someone till you got close enough for it to register following distance on the radar.

We pressed the button to disable it.
Haven’t been paying attention close to the newest cars. All I can say is oh no, not an other computer controlled gimp that won’t work right. I rarely need high beam in any vehicle.

Honestly I use them the most on my motorcycle and rarely when in a car or truck. In a car or truck you would be lucky to find me using them maybe for 1 mile out of maybe every 60. So just like 99 percent of the other garbage on our cars I will soon have to figure out how to disable something else.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,252  
You readjust your headlights every time you load or unload anything in your truck?

You're a better man then I am.
I have a snowsled on for most of the winter. It wasn’t a big deal to adjust them seasonally. My sled didn’t weigh 900 pounds, yet did stick out the back far enough to have the same effect.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,253  
With the traffic on the highway, I only turn my high beams on in my pasture. Traffic on the road in front of my house is so bad, that I have to wait up to 15 minutes to cross the road to the mail box in the afternoon. And better back across is not any better. Weekends not so bad.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,254  
I think it's still a matter of aim and beam pattern.

I put LEDs in my '97 F350 4x4 - it's factory other than somewhat oversized tires but the lights are up fairly high - and I never get flashed when driving at night, despite everything around being clear as day now (much less night time driving fatigue!).

The beam pattern from the housings has a very crisp horizontal cut-off which I think helps a lot.

I do turn my headlights off (parking lights on) at traffic light stops when there's a car in front of me and I can tell my lights are over their trunk.
It wasn't just my truck. We had a fleet of around 45 2019 and 2020 Volvos and many of the drivers commented they get hibeams flashed at them by oncoming traffic.
They are very bright.
(I liked the less fatigue driving at night result from the brighter lights too)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,255  
It wasn't just my truck. We had a fleet of around 45 2019 and 2020 Volvos and many of the drivers commented they get hibeams flashed at them by oncoming traffic.
They are very bright.
(I liked the less fatigue driving at night result from the brighter lights too)
We have the same issue with the headlights on our newer F550's at the shop.

They sit higher and with the brighter headlights they blind oncoming traffic.

There isn't much difference between hi and low beams. Hi beams just make the view a little crisper.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,256  
We have the same issue with the headlights on our newer F550's at the shop.

They sit higher and with the brighter headlights they blind oncoming traffic.

There isn't much difference between hi and low beams. Hi beams just make the view a little crisper.
I can certainly tell when I am coming up to a newer super duty, it gets hard to see because they're throwing so much light into my lane.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,257  
I've noticed some of the newer vehicles come with automatic high beams. The vehicle decides when they switch to low and back to hi.
My old '85 Town Car and '76 Mark IV both had auto dimmers.
At night those bright yellow blinking caution lights at some intersections drove them crazy!

Last edited: