Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,351  
One of the nice things about a receiver hitch is it is easy to remove the hitch from the receiver when not in use. The only reasons for leaving it permanently in the receiver are stupidity and laziness. I keep mine under the back seat until I am in front of the trailer. Saves my shins, as well as others, from unnecessary pain.
I'd rather not have it become a missile in the cab with me if I am involved in an accident. They walk into it once on the back of the truck and learn to look where they are going.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,352  
Walking into it is a stupid act, not having it on the truck. Years ago I was rear-ended at a stop light by a Ford Taurus at an estimated 30-35mph, the hitch allowed my truck to ride up on impact and took most of the hit. The drop hitch took the top of the motor off the Ford. I had some minor damage but drove away and was able to make the journey back home (500+ miles), the Ford was towed away and later totaled. So I will continue to be "lazy" and leave my hitch on; if someone hits it, I guess that is how it goes. As for the insurance and having the hitch on - all the adjuster said to me was, "your lucky that tow hitch was on there, really saved your truck."
LOL A hitch that hangs lower than the receiver acted in a way to cause the other vehicle to slide under. Yeah, that's a scenario that happens every day.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,354  
I'd rather not have it become a missle in the cab with me if I am involved in an accident. They walk into it once on the back of the truck and learn to look where they are going.
If mine became a missile in my truck, my truck would have hit or been hit hard enough to kill everyone in the cab anyway, so the point is moot. I keep it stowed in a compartment under the seat, not on the floor of the back seat.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,355  
In many places it is illegal to leave them in if not towing something...

I've heard this and read anecdotes to this effect but I haven't seen a legal reference, at least for the US, but if you read it on the internet it must be true.

I do know that you can't obscure the license plate with anything, including an unoccupied trailer ball.

I saw someone claim that because the bumper is supposed to be the farthest thing back, a hitch is in violation, but it's not actually called out in the law books, and there are countless statements on the net saying that there are no laws in any of the states outlawing leaving it in.

Apparently a lawmaker in Illinois attempted to pass such a law but I think that "session sine die" means "we'll look at this ... another day ... maybe ..." and that was in 2011, so not there.

Considering that in general you can have stuff sticking out the back of the vehicle up to 4' without even a flag, it doesn't make sense that you can't have a hitch attached.

Personally I leave mine in because I use the top of the drop hitch as a step to get the the bed of my truck sometimes (no tailgate; shell has panel doors), and the truck is usually parked out of the way so it's not a ready injury source. I occasionally remove the hitch if I'm going to be parking in a bigger city against theft, but some people around here still leave their keys in the car when they go into the store (local town literally passed an ordinance against doing so because a couple times kids took them on joyrides...).

Attachments

• 1684863299605.png
    1684863299605.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,356  
I've heard this and read anecdotes to this effect but I haven't seen a legal reference, at least for the US, but if you read it on the internet it must be true.

I do know that you can't obscure the license plate with anything, including an unoccupied trailer ball.

I saw someone claim that because the bumper is supposed to be the farthest thing back, a hitch is in violation, but it's not actually called out in the law books, and there are countless statements on the net saying that there are no laws in any of the states outlawing leaving it in.

Apparently a lawmaker in Illinois attempted to pass such a law but I think that "session sine die" means "we'll look at this ... another day ... maybe ..." and that was in 2011, so not there.

Considering that in general you can have stuff sticking out the back of the vehicle up to 4' without even a flag, it doesn't make sense that you can't have a hitch attached.

Personally I leave mine in because I use the top of the drop hitch as a step to get the the bed of my truck sometimes (no tailgate; shell has panel doors), and the truck is usually parked out of the way so it's not a ready injury source. I occasionally remove the hitch if I'm going to be parking in a bigger city against theft, but some people around here still leave their keys in the car when they go into the store (local town literally passed an ordinance against doing so because a couple times kids took them on joyrides...).
LoL...A lot of times the fact checkers on the Internet are the ones that are wrong...!

In many cases it is city or county ordinances that make it illegal to leave a receiver hitch in when vehicles are parked in public parking areas...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,357  
Here's a case of hauling or towing something wrong - though it was only very briefly and definitely unintentially by the guy with the truck & trailer. No tiedowns at all, tsk tsk

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,358  
The truth is having your draw bar and ball in your hitch isn’t going to make a lot of difference in a major impact. In a minor one it might poke a hole is someone’s car and take out a radiator.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,359  
I've been "tapped" 4 times in the same town. Twice within 10 minutes, and the other two times I was on the same bridge. Only one resulted in any damage, and the way that he had been driving; following too close, and waiting until the last second to brake at every light; I knew that it was a matter of time before he hit me.
I got out, looked at the puddle of anti freeze under his company van and saw that there was no damage to my truck. I asked if he was going to report it and he said no; so I jumped back in and popped it into drive just as the light turned yellow again, and I was on my way. I've always wondered how far he got before it overheated.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,360  
LoL...A lot of times the fact checkers on the Internet are the ones that are wrong...!

In many cases it is city or county ordinances that make it illegal to leave a receiver hitch in when vehicles are parked in public parking areas...
So it should be easy for you to give us a lin k to such a law.
Please do.