Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,221  
I like the REAL Youtube video of the guy pulling the fancy sports car going into a speed wobble and crashing in spectacular fashion, better!

This one?

Bruce

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,222  
Dats Zit! Sparks real good!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,223  
That looks to me that he loaded the car too far back and it needed more tongue weight. Plus, European trailers are rated to 100 km/h (62 mph) max. Since he is on the highway, which the max speed is 120 km/h (75 mph), I'm pretty sure he is way over the speed limit.

Even though the trailers here have surge brakes and parking brakes, it doesn't make it idiot proof.

Here is my setup. I'm still figuring the weight distribution out but I'm really close to the right balance. In the picture was a bit too heavy on the front. On the second picture, it the best I managed to get so far.

IMG_20180721_163851.jpgIMG_20180705_095853.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,224  
Maybe I'm wrong, but that looks a little wrong to me. Strap placement, that is. I like to stretch the load if you like, rather than compress it, if I am conveying my thinking properly. Aside from the mower being properly tied down, it "almost" looks like the straps on the tractor would allow you to pick the tractor straight up.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,225  
Towing with a mustang is wrong, even if it is only a scale model...
Nothing wrong with towing with a car if the trailer weight is appropriate for the tow vehicle's capabilities.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,226  
I agree with you on the front strap stretching, but I had to it that way, because that is where the trailer cross-member is. Otherwise the strap would just slide along the rail. I've been thinking on some better tie-down points for the trailer.

As far as stretching the load or compress, I don't think it really matters, as long as the straps are working against each other to prevent the load from moving. If the load can rock back and forth with these trailers, it will transfer that motion to the trailer, which will activate the surge brakes causing excessive wear on the brakes and excess of fuel consumption.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,227  
Keep in mind that it’s well worth the effort to get the trailor set up so that the straps can be hooked or attached in a manner that makes sure the straps CANNOT become unhooked regardless of how much slack gets in them. Things happen and once a strap gets loose and the hook comes loose then some issues arise that best left alone.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,228  
The trailer is too short to get the minimum DOT tie down angle of 45 degrease so he did that part right. The biggest problem I see is no strap protectors. I usually just use 4 straps so there’s no contact with the straps.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,229  
Absolutely. I'm trying to figure out some better tie-down points so make it even more secure.

I've had to brake really hard a couple of times because some idiots cut me off and I've stopped right away to check the load. Nothing had moved, not even a thousand of an inch.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,230  
I agree with you on the front strap stretching, but I had to it that way, because that is where the trailer cross-member is. Otherwise the strap would just slide along the rail. I've been thinking on some better tie-down points for the trailer.

Dude, just grab a dozen or so of the weld on D Rings from Amazon or Tractor Supply... Glue them down the length and across the front frame and rear frame... Done.

I have mine about every 3 feet, that way no matter what I'm loading I have something to grab to... D Rings or pockets...