Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,001  
That's backwards to how it's done. Shorten to maneuver around the job site or run empty. Stretch out loaded to meet bridge length standards for heavy haul. I did it for years.

Around here most of the dump trucks hauling the pup trailers will do as mentioned earlier.
when they get ready to dump they will place the trailer were they want it dumped and dump it,
then lengthen the tongue out, back the truck into were they want it to dump while getting the trailer jack knifed to almost right angles dump the truck and pull away with the trailer swinging back in behind them and usually missing most of what they dumped, they then shorten it back up to drive away with.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,002  
Around here most of the dump trucks hauling the pup trailers will do as mentioned earlier.
when they get ready to dump they will place the trailer were they want it dumped and dump it,
then lengthen the tongue out, back the truck into were they want it to dump while getting the trailer jack knifed to almost right angles dump the truck and pull away with the trailer swinging back in behind them and usually missing most of what they dumped, they then shorten it back up to drive away with.
Shorten up empty yes. But when you are over 100,000 pounds you need the length to meet the axel bridge lengths. I have never had a problem backing around a pile or dumping shortened up. But yeah once dumped it's legal shortened up and then easier to get around.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,003  
I used to haul marching band equipment in a gutted 66 passenger school bus, with a snowmobile trailer for the stuff that wouldn't fit through the door. You couldn't see the trailer when going down the road. I didn't have much trouble backing it. I had more problems with people that said it couldn't be done. Usually people that couldn't back up their car. The folks that impressed me were the drivers that could back a set of turnpike doubles.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,004  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,005  
The truck hitch to axle and wheelbase also effects the trailer control. With my ranger ('97) no problems backing utility trailer, including around corners. But same trailer behind my F150 ('16) gets really squirrelly.

Here is a funny one. I have a log splitter that is easier to back up with my 45 hp tractor than it is with the 400 cc ATV,

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,006  
Here is a funny one. I have a log splitter that is easier to back up with my 45 hp tractor than it is with the 400 cc ATV,
Makes sense, the hitch on the ATV is probably all of 6" back from the centerline of the axle, so the back of the ATV has to move before the splitter turns much.
With the tractor, it's probably 18-24" from the axle centerline to the hitch if you are using a fixed drawbar, significantly more if you are using a drawbar or trailer mover on the 3 point.
That means that the nose of the splitter moves at least three times as far when you turn the nose of the tractor so it's at a 30 degree angle (in relation to the splitter) than would happen with the ATV turned at the same 30 degree angle (in relation to the splitter).
Same reason why I prefer to back haywagons into the barn with the trailer mover on the tractor, or the front hitch on our RTV rather than the rear hitch on the RTV and why so many marinas have trucks with a trailer hitch on the front.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,007  
I have a log splitter that is easier to back up with my 45 hp tractor than it is with the 400 cc ATV,
Same here, a smaller tractor but the 4 wheeler had the same result. I can't back up a trailer for s&&t at the best of times but with the 4 wheeler it was a comedy show x 2.......Mike

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,009  
I used to haul marching band equipment in a gutted 66 passenger school bus, with a snowmobile trailer for the stuff that wouldn't fit through the door. You couldn't see the trailer when going down the road. I didn't have much trouble backing it. I had more problems with people that said it couldn't be done. Usually people that couldn't back up their car. The folks that impressed me were the drivers that could back a set of turnpike doubles.

I used to drive a C65 with a 24 foot hay rack, and a mulcher behind which was 2 feet narrower than the body. If you could show me how to back that thing up around trees, rocks, and along steep bankings for 200 feet or more without being able to see it I would have loved to know how to do it.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #12,010  
Saw this on FB

84692435_2662351420550247_6945000158157340672_n.jpg