Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,752  
The whole "ST" required tires might be depending on the state.. I have a home-made trailer that was made in the early 50s. Overbuilt and dual axle - both with brakes. I bought it in 1998 In Nevada - it was rusty and all the tires had rot (all passenger car tires). I took it to a BIG-O there, they also put passenger car tires on it. always did just fine, and I hauled some pretty heavy loads. Last year I decided to restore the trailer - stripped it to the frame, had it media blasted and powder coated. New marine grade plywood on the floor, aluminum diamond plate all around... After the wheels were powder coated I took it again to Big-O for new tires - that's when I first heard about the ST-Only-on-trailers rule. Having years of experience with that trailer on passenger slippers and on hearing the premium price for ST I called the guy a few names and left. To this day I've not found proof that the law requires it. Good idea? maybe but like I said.. I've had years of success on regular tires even with extreme loads.
I did have one guy offer the thought that the increased side forces from tight turns on multi-axle trailers might be the reason.. I dunno. cant verify that either.
Now, I suppose it possible if you have a commercial trailer or a massive 5th wheel RV that your insurance company would have something to say about it..

I eventually took the wheels to a different place and just told them they were from a 1950s Chevy Truck (which is true) and they mounted some nice tires.. no problems.

IMG_4739.JPG

Attachments

• GWzv9gW.jpg
    GWzv9gW.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 160
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,754  
Trailor tires with their stiffer sidewalls do handle really tight turns better. As in turns tight enough for some of the tires to be skidding sideways. Such as almost having the heavily loaded trailor jackknifed. If your on pavement its a bad idea, but you will probably get away with it. If your on soft ground where the tires dig in, then your likely to break lug bolts or roll a tire off the rim.
Yep, such turns are a bad idea. However every once in a while such things have to be dealt with if your using trailors a lot and getting in or out of tough locations.

Trailor tires with a stiffer sidewall are supposed to handle the heavier loads better. Less flexing on the sidewall and heat building up. Thus the cheaper prices since the materials do not have to handle the conditions or provide the ride a truck tire does. Personal experience for me is that GOOD tires of which ever type are required.

Even for light loads and occasional use I would have a hard time being convinced passenger tires are a great idea. Will they work ? Sure, but why deal with the hassles of when they will not.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,755  
Even fairly minor turns get trailer axels in a bind. Running one heavier duty axel would be much better IMO. IMG_9433.JPG

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,756  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,757  
Looks like the "Every other month dump run."

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #13,760  
Nothing wrong here - just something you don't see every day!

Awesome blues! - Frontiers Of Flight Museum

FA-18's when new, go to active fleet squadrons, then, when they have exceeded their carrier landings limitation, some may go to reserve squadrons, and a few go to the Blues to fly for a while.
When the Blues have finished wearing theirs out...... they then go to displays, or the boneyard.