Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,751  
The cross road over the interstate will be closed for a lengthy time and then the interstate will be closed again to replace the bridge. They have learned to do those bridge replacements pretty quickly once they get everything in place.
If the bridge replacement had happened in Georgia replacement would be anything other than 'pretty quickly'. They've been 3 years already simply rerouting a railroad overpass on GA 41 between Warm Springs and Greenville. It seems the contractor figures that might be his retirement program!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,752  
Seen worse.

Attachments

• SAFE-TOWING.jpg
    SAFE-TOWING.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 344
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,753  
Probably stopping at every gas station and filling up on that ever increasing in cost per gallon gasoline too.

If you go the speed limit or 5 under it's amazing how much less your wallet gets drained.

I'm never in any hurry, I leave early to get to where I'm going.

I'm always 5 under with my RV and usually a bit more on the freeway. In a hurry, pass me.
"They've" always said that but many of us don't pay that much attention. My Colorado has real time mpg estimates as well as for 25 and 50 miles. It's pretty interesting and educational to see how much of difference speed makes. Below 70 isn't too bad, but get up to 80 and it really drops. What kills it most though, is the multiple trips I make from my house to my field every day... and leaving it running with the AC on for my dog while I run into a store.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,754  
Seen worse.
If he's just going down the road a short distance and keeps his speed down that might be OK. Hopefully he repacked the front wheel bearings first though.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,756  
Gee, I had thought tricycle front wheels were so you could put them on the trailer tongue and use a shorter trailer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,757  
If the bridge replacement had happened in Georgia replacement would be anything other than 'pretty quickly'. They've been 3 years already simply rerouting a railroad overpass on GA 41 between Warm Springs and Greenville. It seems the contractor figures that might be his retirement program!
I think a lot of highway contractors are looking for their entire family’s retirement program. It’s ridiculous.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,758  
I think a lot of highway contractors are looking for their entire family’s retirement program. It’s ridiculous.
One of my assignments in the admin side of the state highway department was a year assisting federal investigators to see if the bid-rigging they had found in Eastern states (Spiro Agnew case) also existed in the West. After looking at $4 billion of construction - not only the winning bidder but also all the losing bids - we concluded there was adequate competition and no sign the bidders were colluding on State work, where the design engineers knew how much a project should cost. (The feds did find some problems with work for smaller cities, where the city contract administrators didn't have the expertise to recognize and reject excessive cost).

But one of the bidders had a bizarre bidding pattern that jumped out of the data: He never bid against the traditional market leaders in his part of the state. And always bid at what we figured was far more profit than what the state expected to pay. The feds went down to interview him. Bid collusion?

He had a simple explanation: "See all that junky equipment out there? I don't own anything modern. I'm not real efficient. But I have a business principle that makes me a lot of money: Don't bid anything until late in the season when all the guys big enough to do a specific project are overcomitted, so they don't want to work a big project in my remote region. Then I take the State's project estimate and add a big profit, 30% or more, and bid that. I don't have any estimators, I rely on the State's numbers - and make a lot of money on the projects no one else wants". Back to the state estimators, the feds asked how can you allow this? Answer - simple - the highways have to be repaired timely (like that damaged overpass) and if there's no one else to do it we have no choice but award the contract to that local guy.

I expect that contractor is a millionaire many times over. Meanwhile the hero who got a huge bonus for earthquake repairs completed far ahead of schedule in Los Angeles after their Big One, was bankrupt a few years later. Contracting at that scale is a rough game.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,759  
Got a new beer cooler for the man cave
beer cooler.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,760  
Going fishing
goin fishin.jpg