Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,391  
I remember when that happened. I drive that road section daily to work. It made all the local news that night. The guy towing the boat had no idea. He found out when he saw it on the news too. Don't know what the result was for the boat driver, but I seem to recall the cycle rider came out ok in the end. I think.
Looks like he rolled the inertial energy off, saving serious damage to his body (I hope). This may not be his first road-eo...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,392  
Please do! I borrowed it for use here, after all. Aside from the crude songs Frank Zappa did, he wrote some fantastic music, and had a most brilliant dry wit. He also saw a lot of the bad things government is doing, some of it before it became widely known. I love his music!
Thanks!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,393  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,395  
It looked like the object started left then went right. The guy on the bike didn't have time to change directions.
It’s easy for me to armchair quarterback but it looks like he got target fixation pretty bad to me, I think it was avoidable. The clothing he wore leads me to believe he dressed for style, not safety. He was obviously catching up to a slower moving vehicle and lane position indicated he was setting up to pass on the right just before the load broke free (where he continued to go when he saw danger). He never leaned indicating he was trying to avoid it, he just hit the brakes (and even that was ineffective because he never changed his body position or applied enough rear break). He probably had no formal training and has probably never practiced any type of maneuvers aside from getting his license. Just seems like a more experienced/trained rider would have been fine as he had a lot of options and with a little less aggressive driving would have had even more options.

Again, armchair quarterback but I’ve do have years of road and dirt riding along with classes on both surfaces.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,397  
The boat should not have been in the left lane either.
In MN we don't have restrictions like that. As long as the vehicle is passing another the left lane is OK for any.

As a cycle rider I always, always pay special attention to any trailers or vehicles loaded with cargo. I know firsthand how challenging it is to strap down stuff securely, having hauled a lot of things in my years. The average person does not put anywhere near enough attention on making sure cargo is secure. I give those vehicles plenty of room or get the heck around them fast.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,398  
I take my semi day cab through the drive-thru all the time. No problem.
I threaten if they don't get my order right I'll come back with the 53' trailer on it :)

Girl at the window says it freaks the other customers out (they comment to her), and I've seen someone stop on the street to
take a picture.

I didn't think it was a big deal. It fits, it's 2am, and I wanted coffee !

During the early days of COVID my trucker buddies couldn’t use washrooms or even get a cup of coffee. Wouldn’t even let them walk through the drive thru citing safety concerns.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,399  
During the early days of COVID my trucker buddies couldn’t use washrooms or even get a cup of coffee. Wouldn’t even let them walk through the drive thru citing safety concerns.
Yeah at the worst of it I was glad I was P&D. I brought my own lunch and even though most customers buildings were locked down I knew them well enough they would let me in to use the restroom. Even convince stores were not allowing use of theirs. It was a tough time to be a driver in states that aren't free. Washington is among the worst.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,400  
It’s easy for me to armchair quarterback but it looks like he got target fixation pretty bad to me, I think it was avoidable. The clothing he wore leads me to believe he dressed for style, not safety. He was obviously catching up to a slower moving vehicle and lane position indicated he was setting up to pass on the right just before the load broke free (where he continued to go when he saw danger). He never leaned indicating he was trying to avoid it, he just hit the brakes (and even that was ineffective because he never changed his body position or applied enough rear break). He probably had no formal training and has probably never practiced any type of maneuvers aside from getting his license. Just seems like a more experienced/trained rider would have been fine as he had a lot of options and with a little less aggressive driving would have had even more options.

Again, armchair quarterback but I’ve do have years of road and dirt riding along with classes on both surfaces.
Yeah it's unfortunate he didn't see this happening like a race track rider getting set up for the next apex, so he wasn't all set for maximum braking.

What I see is that when the object hit the road, it was on the left side of the lane with a shoulder of half lane width further to the left; meanwhile the entire middle lane was open to the right. At that moment that it hit and he decided to pull to the right, it was definitely the right choice - much more room to maneuver there, plus you can assume that the middle lane won't have debris in it unlike the shoulder, which at least around here often has at a minimum gravel and at the worst ladders and chunks of lumber. Once he'd started to veer to the right and realized that the object was going to block him to the right, he got on the brakes; I'd challenge pretty much any other rider to do otherwise - and once you're hard on the brakes, you're not going to make any direction changes without getting off the brakes.

The entire danger portion of this encounter was decided in about two seconds from when the object visibly started dropping to when he was hard on the brakes about to hit it - personally I'd cut this guy a ton of slack, though I hope he learns to use ATTGAT.

Also, A+ to him for tucking his arms in tight, probably avoided some serious injuries on that roll that way.