Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,781  
Those who watch Matt's Recovery may recall an episode where he pulled somebody out who had driven into one of those runaway lanes. It's apparently pretty soft sand, and doesn't take long to stop a truck.

There's one of these on a downhill slope into Gorham NH which I used to drive past a lot. I always thought it seemed rather short but perhaps not, if it doesn't take much.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,782  
On freeway 5 - coming over the mountains from LA area towards Bakersfield - a stretch commonly referred to as the grapevine, there are two runaway truck lanes - going north. The first one is on the right and the second one - not that much farther down - is on the left. I am guessing that they wanted to have a second one as there is quite a steep grade there - and there may not have been a convenient place for a second one on the right.

I have traveled that route many times - A lot of truck traffic, and you can smell the brakes as you head down that grade.

Attachments

• PhotoScan.jpg
    PhotoScan.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,783  
Some fancy new (in 2009) runaway in Ontario Canada

From an article;
"Similar to the technology used when planes land on aircraft carriers, a dragnet with seven metal nets attached to energy absorbers will stop trucks experiencing brake failure. The new ramp requires minimal maintenance, is highly efficient in the winter and requires only 140m to stop, compared to 370 m required to stop a runaway vehicle with a conventional gravel bed."

The lane is under the North Bay sign. Pretty darn short compared to older styles. 140m is 153 yards

1637031080549.png

1637031115773.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,784  
A little hard on the rig...

The sand/gravel long runs don't total the tractor... at least the one I saw well into the run.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,785  

The sand/gravel long runs don't total the tractor... at least the one I saw well into the run.
This vid shows how they're built and different material and design.
The 2nd truck about 30 seconds in took a hammering, but not wrecked I guess.
The test one I shared above is the last one in this vid and shows the "nets" contacting the truck.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,786  

Dat's one o' them new single-use tractor trailers!
:D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,787  
I think I mentioned this before ...

I worked for a Large Public Agency and I got an assignment to go to the construction shack at a just-completed truck escape project, for a random review for adequate project records before final payment to the contractor. No problems expected, just behind-the-scenes quality control that avoids problems.

They were all in a tizzy when I arrived. The ramp had gotten its first 'customer' in the middle of the night. A semi and moving van, 80k lbs.

Then a wrecker had pulled the rig back out, undamaged, some time in the night. All they knew was long ruts and a CHP incident report.

But there was an oversight in the design. Nothing for the wrecker to anchor to! He had pulled down the light pole at the escape entrance when he tied to that. Back to the drawing board....

(The project records looked fine).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,788  
No driver error as far as I know but the highway guys should have shut the bridge down to trucks during our high wind conditions. Driver got out the driver's side, the first step on the passenger side was a doozy. Some engineer did a good job designing that guard rail.

deception pass 1.jpeg

deception pass 2.jpeg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,789  
On freeway 5 - coming over the mountains from LA area towards Bakersfield - a stretch commonly referred to as the grapevine, there are two runaway truck lanes - going north. The first one is on the right and the second one - not that much farther down - is on the left. I am guessing that they wanted to have a second one as there is quite a steep grade there - and there may not have been a convenient place for a second one on the right.

I have traveled that route many times - A lot of truck traffic, and you can smell the brakes as you head down that grade.
the grape vine is fun in a rented car except they close it at the first hint of snow.......probably a good idea....spent 14 hours in the car once because they closed it and the one motel said

no dogs

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #15,790  

With the traditional runaway truck ramp and sand/gravel bed, the truck has a very high chance of turning over on it's side. They told us in school (80's) that you can expect to go over on your side, and to make sure your seatbelt is on tight for "the ride" and the sudden stop at the end. I've never had to use one (truck ramp), but there was one time I did need one and there were no ramps in that area at the time. They have long since redone the pass, and added additional ramps.

Coming down Raton pass with no brakes, late 80's, by the time I knew I was in trouble, I was already past the last ramp. Long story short, half my brakes were disabled on the rig (contractor error) and vehicle maint tech didn't check them (but said he did to the NCO in charge when asked. In the post incident investigation, he admitted he just "assumed" they were fine). Military vehicle maintenance at that time was responsible for checking/adjusting brakes, as it was considered a "maintenance task", not a "drivers task". In the civilian world, most drivers check and adjust their own brakes. Maybe some company fleets still don't, dunno about that.

Normally we drove very conservatively, so didn't "need" all the brakes until we hit Raton (this trip originated in Boulder, CO). Then they weren't there. The "speed up" was gradual, I was in like 5th gear at the top (start of the grade), full Jake brake, plenty of time to figure something out (so I thought). By the time I knew I was hosed, we'd passed the last ramp. Looking back now, with 32 years of hind sight, I should have taken the last ramp, I knew "something was wrong", but I was trying to not destroy a 30 million dollar mobile satcom missile warning system (the truck). If it had "gone over" it would have destroyed the phased array antenna system on the side of the truck, and those trucks were irreplaceable, only 6 in the world (at that time).

We were instructed in driver's class that if we were ever in that situation, no brakes, runaway truck, to not allow the engine to over rev and blow itself up. Statistics from truck crashes on grades pointed to a much higher crash rate if the steering was gone. So keeping the engine alive meant you had power steering to steer the rig on the road. So we were instructed to as a last ditch choice, to slap the transmission out of gear and coast down the grade in neutral. At least we would be able to steer (some chance is better than no chance).

As I was slowly upshifting gears, with full Jake brake on, coming down the pass, I was able to keep it at a fairly mild road speed until I ran out of gears. Once the engine tach topped out in 9th gear, I did as we were instructed and slapped it to neutral. The rest of the trip down the hill was much more exciting, as we got some impressive road speeds (I'm sure I was well above 100 mph for a while). But by then, most of the big curves were behind us and I could just focus on keeping the rig on the pavement.

Made it to the bottom in one piece, still on the pavement, finally got it to roll to a stop, took miles and miles of relatively straight, flat road. Got the truck to actually come to stop by finally having the kid riding shotgun to lean out the cab door on his side and throw a set of wooden tire chocks under the truck. It took the lead convoy pickup about 15 minutes to catch up to us after we stopped, and he had a max speed of 80 mph in a gutless 6.2 L GM diesel dually. He'd been giving it all it had, lights and siren blaring, trying to "stay with us".

As an aside observation, when you're coming down a hill in a semi, at over 100 mph, riding the fast lane, flashing high beams and laying on the air horn, people tend to actually get out of your lane and let you by.

Good times.