Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,211  
Obviously you are an experienced truck driver, prosecutor, collision investigator and forensic scientist, so I will bow to your wisdom and experience.
The owner wouldn't likely be charged on a mechanical deficiency, unless it was an obvious defect. Ticket would fall on the driver.

With air brakes, they can sometimes hang up (dragging, not releasing all the way) where the pads are in continous contact with the drum. Causing them to over heat and catch fire. But not lock up that tire.

Hard to feel a brake dragging slightly on something so heavy already, and then adding a load to the trailer. Only way to tell for sure is to jack up the trailer and check to see if it spins freely with the brake released.

Driver is supposed to check slack adjustment, and brake functionality before hitting the road each time. That's just a visual check to make sure that gap is no more then xx.

Testing brakes is usually just leaving the parking brake engaged on the trailer, and pulling forward slightly to make sure they grab. Or pulling forward slightly and hitting the paddle to engage the trailer brakes.

After that, it's head on down the road. At least that's what I see at the shop.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,212  
The owner wouldn't likely be charged on a mechanical deficiency, unless it was an obvious defect. Ticket would fall on the driver.

With air brakes, they can sometimes hang up (dragging, not releasing all the way) where the pads are in continous contact with the drum. Causing them to over heat and catch fire. But not lock up that tire.

Hard to feel a brake dragging slightly on something so heavy already, and then adding a load to the trailer. Only way to tell for sure is to jack up the trailer and check to see if it spins freely with the brake released.

Driver is supposed to check slack adjustment, and brake functionality before hitting the road each time. That's just a visual check to make sure that gap is no more then xx.

Testing brakes is usually just leaving the parking brake engaged on the trailer, and pulling forward slightly to make sure they grab. Or pulling forward slightly and hitting the paddle to engage the trailer brakes.

After that, it's head on down the road. At least that's what I see at the shop.
You can usually feel even one brake dragging at low speeds even on 8 axles. A driver checking his mirrors occasionally can see the smoke in daylight hours before it gets to bad. Trucks and trailers have automatic slack adjusters, one or two may fail and not adjust, but not 10. The walk around involve also listening for air leaks, which if one is present it is most often a diaphragm or a valve. On the truck that means stepping hard on the treadle valve and opening the door and listening, on the trailer it means applying the trailer brake and walking back and listening usually while checking brake lights. Only way to check adjustment is to crawl under the truck since many trucks and trailers have dust covers on the brakes and even then unless the brake is grossly out of adjustment it won't be readily visible.
Thirty-two years and several million miles in Kenworths, Freightliners, Peterbilts, Internationals, Fords, and Macks. The accident was 100% driver error. Even if he started at the top of the pass with no brakes a competent driver could have gotten off the hill with just his gears. I don't buy his "brakes failed" excuse except they failed from heat caused by over application which in turn was caused by him not being in gear and using the engine for braking.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,213  

This guy never had a problem with the brakes hanging up,, and the shoe life is excellent,,

EwXEKCgWQAkTkK3.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,214  
You can usually feel even one brake dragging at low speeds even on 8 axles. A driver checking his mirrors occasionally can see the smoke in daylight hours before it gets to bad. Trucks and trailers have automatic slack adjusters, one or two may fail and not adjust, but not 10. The walk around involve also listening for air leaks, which if one is present it is most often a diaphragm or a valve. On the truck that means stepping hard on the treadle valve and opening the door and listening, on the trailer it means applying the trailer brake and walking back and listening usually while checking brake lights. Only way to check adjustment is to crawl under the truck since many trucks and trailers have dust covers on the brakes and even then unless the brake is grossly out of adjustment it won't be readily visible.
Thirty-two years and several million miles in Kenworths, Freightliners, Peterbilts, Internationals, Fords, and Macks. The accident was 100% driver error. Even if he started at the top of the pass with no brakes a competent driver could have gotten off the hill with just his gears. I don't buy his "brakes failed" excuse except they failed from heat caused by over application which in turn was caused by him not being in gear and using the engine for braking.
I agree with you on the accident 100 percent. Driver was inexperienced and should have had way more training.

I've noticed just in the past few months way more drivers coming into our yard with little to any experience.

They are going through driving school. Driving around town. Then handed a CDL with no clue how to handle the vehicle on highway and grades.

Been shipping out a lot of equipment the past couple months using third party haulers.

I've lost count of how many I've sent to tractor supply for chains and binders, or other standard items you would think they would have on their trucks.

Then had to show them how to bind down a load.

Then the drivers with no clue how to hook up a trailer, and expecting someone else to do it for them.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,215  
This guy never had a problem with the brakes hanging up,, and the shoe life is excellent,,

EwXEKCgWQAkTkK3.jpg
Had a brake drum fail like that once in Canada on a Kenworth left rear drive axle. When I came back to the truck after visiting the border broker I saw it. I had thought the scrap hauler that passed me in the opposite direction about 6 miles back had lost something off his trailer as he passed me. Turned out it was me

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,216  
I agree with you on the accident 100 percent. Driver was inexperienced and should have had way more training.

I've noticed just in the past few months way more drivers coming into our yard with little to any experience.

They are going through driving school. Driving around town. Then handed a CDL with no clue how to handle the vehicle on highway and grades.

Been shipping out a lot of equipment the past couple months using third party haulers.

I've lost count of how many I've sent to tractor supply for chains and binders, or other standard items you would think they would have on their trucks.

Then had to show them how to bind down a load.

Then the drivers with no clue how to hook up a trailer, and expecting someone else to do it for them.
While working for my last employer I gave check rides to several drivers. Most were okay, but one fresh out of truck driving school I wouldn't hire to drive a wheel barrow let alone a dump truck and trailer grossing 105,500. I took him to a gravel pit and told him to get the feel of the truck and how it turns and get familiar with it. He spent about 60 seconds getting used to it. Drove out of the pit and put the right steer tire 3 feet off the pavement turning left out of the pit, couldn't find a gear if he had a map, and complained that all trucks should be automatics. Cut short that check ride as soon as I could. He's probably driving for Swift now.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,217  
While working for my last employer I gave check rides to several drivers. Most were okay, but one fresh out of truck driving school I wouldn't hire to drive a wheel barrow let alone a dump truck and trailer grossing 105,500. I took him to a gravel pit and told him to get the feel of the truck and how it turns and get familiar with it. He spent about 60 seconds getting used to it. Drove out of the pit and put the right steer tire 3 feet off the pavement turning left out of the pit, couldn't find a gear if he had a map, and complained that all trucks should be automatics. Cut short that check ride as soon as I could. He's probably driving for Swift now.
Yup, seeing quite a few automatics running around now.

I personally always liked being able to lock a vehicle in a gear when going down a steep hill. And had a hard time adjusting to an automatic when Ford quit offering standard transmissions in their F550's.

Good luck finding a kid that wants to learn how to drive stick now days. They look at what your doing and say "yuck, that looks like too much work!!!".

Daughter said that when we got our jeep. I said "Good!!!! I didn't want you bugging us to borrow it anyway!!!!"

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,218  
So, yesterday I had two third party haulers come into the shop to haul a couple frac tanks to a shop for refurbishment.

Both drivers were fresh out of driving school. Couldn't perform basic tasks that you would think a tractor trailer driver should be able to perform.

These skills were:

1: make sure the king pin is latched (one had hers latched, but then released it )

2: Hook up air lines

3: hook up lights

4: perform a basic pre-trip inspection.

Both drivers expected to sit in the truck and have someone perform those duties.

I pulled both drivers out of their trucks and explained to them exactly how stupid of an expectation that is.

It is their responsibility to make sure they are safe going down the road. That includes what they are pulling.

One of the drivers couldn't climb up on the back of their truck to hook up the air lines, and lights. Had to get them a ladder.

Told my boss this morning, if I get any other drivers in like that, then they forfeit their load, and load center can find us someone else to haul the equipment.
Your missing the things I have seen in the last 2 weeks

Can’t get the trailer into the dock
Unable to change a light bulb
Doesn’t know there are breakers and fuses
Does not have a clue how to adjust mirrors
I’ve seen some that can’t even check thier own oil but not in the last two weeks
When picking up a container with 3 lines- they connect to the service line and emergency and wonder why the brakes won’t release
Drive over every curb on the site
Back trailers in and leave without ever opening barn dorors - even after the warehouse employee has cut the seal for them
Writing the trailer vin number on paperwork rather than the trailer number that’s in big bold letters on the trailer
Have no understanding of the brakes, can’t understand that you don’t release the red one if you don’t have a trailer. Can’t seem to understand why they have an air leak.
Turning tight and way too soon as they leave the dock, hitting the trailer beside
Not doing a tug test, or checking the latch and looking at us stupid after they drop the trailer
Haveing no clue how to line up for a good back on anything but a perfect world and even then they can’t get it right.
Wrong door again, usually due to no English again
Can’t read a simple do not enter, one way, receiving sign with an arrow and shipping with the arrow the other way
Can’t get the trailer in from that spot as they keep hitting the curb with the truck and running out of room, so they try over and over again from the same spot, with the same exact steering 22 times in a row and still don’t want to listen to your free advice so they do it 2 more times before you leave wondering if they ever got in or are still there trying a week later. (By the way this one was supposed to be the trainer) The trainee actually listened and asked me to show her in my truck before I left.
Moving fluorescent barriers and then sitting at an exit gate that had been closed off for years wondering why no one will let them out of this yard. Actually called thier terminal to complain!
One of my favorites is the trailer almost 2 ft off to one side of the door then they get upset because they have to move it or it can’t be unloaded. Last one I saw they were covering the lights beside the door.
Pulling into a lot full of cars instead of following the trucks this way sign with the big picture and arrow pointing the way.
Asking an other driver, how, where, when they are confused or having trouble then not listening to or arguing with the advice or direction. Sometimes asking multiple times as if they are hoping your answer will change to Make thing easy for them somehow.

In most cases I am afraid to ask how they got there in one piece!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,219  
I have given several drivers the boot last year. The big bosses have tried to argue but without my signature our safety department will block thier continued employment as a driver.
It’s not often you can scare me but some of these drivers really had me thinking I wasn’t going to make it back alive. In a few cases I didn’t even let them finish the run, they came back in the passenger seat knowing full well they were getting the boot!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,220  
I have given several drivers the boot last year. The big bosses have tried to argue but without my signature our safety department will block thier continued employment as a driver.
It’s not often you can scare me but some of these drivers really had me thinking I wasn’t going to make it back alive. In a few cases I didn’t even let them finish the run, they came back in the passenger seat knowing full well they were getting the boot!
Ove seen my share of folks that shouldn't be allowed out on the road. 2 yesterday.

My favorite though was the guy who couldn't figure out how to turn around in our yard

Yard is one big rectangle with hose racks down the center lengthwise.

I looked around the yard and then back at the guy and asked him to clarify his question.

He asked how do I turn around in the yard so I can get back out???

I said "drive tdown to the end of the racks, swing wide to the left, drive back down the racks and out of the yard!!!!"

He asked again "No!!! How do I turn around so I can get back out????"

At this point I lost my patience. I said "Look man, I'm not a truck driver!!! But I'm pretty sure that even I could drive in your truck down to the end of the racks, swing wide to the left, drive back towards the exit and make it out on the highway without hitting anything!!!!!"

About that time our driver swung into the yard with a frac tank, drove down to the end of the racks, did a u-turn in front of the truck,, and then backed the tank into a spot in the lay down yard at the end of the racks.

I looked at the driver and said "I'm pretty sure you can figure it out"