Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,751  
That is the scene. I assume it’s similar to this
A0D0F400-77A2-401D-B80E-8F2B05866B90.jpeg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,752  
Interesting. Surprising weight.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,753  
Interesting. Surprising weight.
A difference between passenger rail in the US and high speed rail elsewhere, is US passenger railcars have to meed a high standard for surviving a crash with a freight train. This was enacted because they run on the same tracks, and probably after some horrific crashes.

I think our urban 'Light Rail' can be much lighter because of dedicated routes.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,754  
A difference between passenger rail in the US and high speed rail elsewhere, is US passenger railcars have to meed a high standard for surviving a crash with a freight train. This was enacted because they run on the same tracks, and probably after some horrific crashes.

I think our urban 'Light Rail' can be much lighter because of dedicated routes.
Near my hometown a train hit a tracked manlift that was used to trim trees. Because the lowboy couldnt pass this overpass without getting the bed stuck on the rails, they waited for the train to pass, so there was time to pass the single rail at snail pass, before the next train, because the max speed of this tracked manlift was only 1 kmh

Unfortunately there is a double rail section further down the rail so trains can pass, so a train came in opposed direction before the railway was cleared.

While in previous years the national railways ran a "ape head" train, model year 1964 on this line, with a welded front of sheet metal on structural section ribs, this line was spun off to the private sector, and operated by a company that bought a flimsy train with a glassfiber front. It derailed when hitting the 12 ton manlift, killing the engineer in the process. It was a matter of pure luck that the train was allmost empty at that time.

Here a video of the Dutch NTSB:

When in another village 25 years ago a 15 ton Cat 212B wheeled excavator was hit, the firemen had to cut the engineer from the train because he was slightly pinched, but he lived and fully recovered. The excavator operator however, was dug out from his cab so he could climb out on his own. Needless to say, the Werkspoor train didnt derail, it just had to be towed because the control room was damaged.

Here an image of a Werkspoor "ape head" under construction:

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,755  
I wish I had pictures from 1986? 1987? Thereabouts when I voluteered to help a friend do a roof repair at his girlfriend’s family’s bungalow out on Long Island.

roof repair became roof replacement.

On the roof of my 1975 Chevy Impala: 18 sheets of plywood.
in the back seat: 20 rolls of asphalt roofing.
in the trunk: 10 more rolls of roofing and 5 buckets of tar, and several boxes of nails.

on the radio in a perfect world would have been War “Low Rider”…

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,756  
I wish I had pictures from 1986? 1987? Thereabouts when I voluteered to help a friend do a roof repair at his girlfriend’s family’s bungalow out on Long Island.

roof repair became roof replacement.

On the roof of my 1975 Chevy Impala: 18 sheets of plywood.
in the back seat: 20 rolls of asphalt roofing.
in the trunk: 10 more rolls of roofing and 5 buckets of tar, and several boxes of nails.

on the radio in a perfect world would have been War “Low Rider”…

Cars back then were tanks; even with all that weight it probably only squatted about an inch.....

Our neighbors back around 1975 had a four door Mercury sedan; don't know the model. I do remember that you could practically stand up and walk around the back seat area because there was so much room.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,757  
Can some of you guys explain this rig? Kind of a poor picture, I took it with my cell phone off a video. It was a video of a custom harvesting/transport crew on the move. Most of the trucks were semis towing two big trailers. First trailer was hauling the combine and the second trailer was towing the header.

With that type hitch there is no weight on the pickup plus he is double towing a fuel trailer. It looks sketchy to me, but maybe it is legit?

0701220350.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,758  
Can some of you guys explain this rig? Kind of a poor picture, I took it with my cell phone off a video. It was a video of a custom harvesting/transport crew on the move. Most of the trucks were semis towing two big trailers. First trailer was hauling the combine and the second trailer was towing the header.

With that type hitch there is no weight on the pickup plus he is double towing a fuel trailer. It looks sketchy to me, but maybe it is legit?

View attachment 752369
That is called a header trailer, very common, but not as common towing doubles like that.
I would think that he would put the 2 axle fuel trailer first as it will track better in a hard stop (especially if full), but if they all have brakes?

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,759  
That is called a header trailer, very common, but not as common towing doubles like that.
I would think that he would put the 2 axle fuel trailer first as it will track better in a hard stop (especially if full), but if they all have brakes?

Aaron Z

The fact he is towing it with a pickup is what is bugging me. I can see it if it was a big truck. I would guess his load is about double what the pickup weighs. I tow heavy but always have part of the towed weight on the pickup. Some of those trailers are up to 20k gvw. I would think traction/control would be a problem with an empty pickup.

HD_Transport_1260x900.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,760  
I'm not familiar: Is this for combine/thresher head transportation?