Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,771  
Towing in the wrong place:

Bruce

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,772  
I went over to the site of the Amtrak wreck and looked it over. Pictures don’t reflect the grade very well - it’s steeper than it looks. The road comes in at an angle and turns abruptly and has a steep approach. Not good for a loaded truck, as you climb all the way to the tracks and it would be tough to get started again, if you stop. I heard on the radio that there are several wrongful death suits filed already, against the trucking company by Amtrak, against BNSF by the driver’s widow, and I’m not sure what else. There have been calls for years to improve this crossing.

Widow of dump truck driver killed in Chariton County train accident files wrongful death suit

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,773  
FB1F3AC0-06ED-495C-91EE-7803BBD19847.jpeg
D80FBBDC-EB73-4A3F-9C9B-9B65805A7FD8.jpeg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,774  
Now maybe they will mark the crossing with lights, the way that it should have been in the first place. Perhaps even change the approach to make it safer, although that's probably too much to ask.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,775  
What could go wrong?
Motorcycle, truck, trailer and boat, think the hitch on that RV is rated for all that weight?
And if you look close, I don't see any safety chains, but the is a 2" ball sticking out of the front of the truck. Interesting...

1656724760330.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,776  
I’ll bet when the lawyers get done, the crossing will be fixed. My son said the next crossing after that is worse. He said they can run 70 MPH with a stack train through there. Amtrak can run 90 MPH.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,777  
What could go wrong?
Motorcycle, truck, trailer and boat, think the hitch on that RV is rated for all that weight?
And if you look close, I don't see any safety chains, but the is a 2" ball sticking out of the front of the truck. Interesting...

View attachment 752502
The ball on the front of the truck is probably to put the boat trailer into the water with, that way you're driving for and can see what you're doing which could make it a little easier.
No idea on the weight rating of the hitch on the rv, but if they're doing it right the truck has toad or something similar that pushes the brake pedal when the RV brakes turn on.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,778  
The widow's lawsuit won't go anywhere. The NTSB will find the truck at fault. The train always has the right of way. How many of this type crossings are there nationwide, thousands.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,779  
I don't know about the "widow's lawsuit", they (RR) may quietly settle, but yeah, there are crossings like that all over the country. There are probably "thousands" of them just inside North Dakota.

Here (ND) if there is not an "active" crossing signal, just a sign, you are just required to come to a full stop first, and look both ways, before you cross the tracks. Some crossings you can see miles of track in each direction, and some you can't. I guess you "rollz the dice, and takez your chances".

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,780  
The widow's lawsuit won't go anywhere. The NTSB will find the truck at fault. The train always has the right of way. How many of this type crossings are there nationwide, thousands.
Yes, the train always has the right of way, however that does not give the owner of the rail line the right of way to not maintain the crossing safely. Someone said that there have been several other accidents and law suits. The NTSB could very well recommend a light or change in the road or rail line to facilitate a safer crossing. If they have already recommended change and it was not done then there is plenty of room for a suit.