Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,422  
No, the Corvair had a rear engine

Hence the lean to the right on the truck. There does appear to be artifacts around the tires, suggesting photoshopping. I would guess that Corvair weighs about 2500 lbs so it's possible, although I wonder if the bed sides would stand up to that kind of weight.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,423  
1672187791297.jpeg

That’s a lot of axels on the ground. I wonder if it’s legal? Each truck has its own towing capacity? :unsure:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,424  
I wonder if it’s legal? Each truck has its own towing capacity? :unsure:
Likely a special-permit load. Limited route and time of day. But no special weight or width issue in this case.

Come to think of it we used to see trains like that commonly (with brand new trucks) but I haven't seen one for a while.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,425  
View attachment 776579
That’s a lot of axels on the ground. I wonder if it’s legal? Each truck has its own towing capacity? :unsure:

Each truck is probably 25k for 100k combined. The west coasters can run 105,500 with enough axels. Axel weights aren’t a one size fits all but using general standards he could run 20k each on the truck axels, 34k on the drive axels, more if he used the drop axel and 12.5k on the steer axle. Spread axel trailers can haul more weight than regular tandems since they’re farther apart and that’s basically what he has. You could also run wider tires to get more than 12.5k on the steer axel. That’s more of a dump truck thing though.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,426  
Each truck is probably 25k for 100k combined. The west coasters can run 105,500 with enough axels. Axel weights aren’t a one size fits all but using general standards he could run 20k each on the truck axels, 34k on the drive axels, more if he used the drop axel and 12.5k on the steer axle. Spread axel trailers can haul more weight than regular tandems since they’re farther apart and that’s basically what he has. You could also run wider tires to get more than 12.5k on the steer axel. That’s more of a dump truck thing though.
I would presume there would be a length limit regardless of number of axels on the ground? It actually appears to be a safer towing practice than many of the pics posted here.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,427  
View attachment 776579
I've seen this setup quite a bit, but not too much late lately. One variation that I've seen is instead of the dump on 3rd truck, there would be a small car or pickup (Ranger) fully mounted on the 3rd truck. That way, the driver had a way to get back to his starting point.

-

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,428  
I would presume there would be a length limit regardless of number of axels on the ground? It actually appears to be a safer towing practice than many of the pics posted here.

Since those connections all swivel he probably needs a triple trailer endorsement. If he’s permitted for triples I’m sure he has plenty of length.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,429  
I've seen this setup quite a bit, but not too much late lately. One variation that I've seen is instead of the dump on 3rd truck, there would be a small car or pickup (Ranger) fully mounted on the 3rd truck. That way, the driver had a way to get back to his starting point.

-
Could there be a small vehicle in the bed of that dump?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,430  
As long as each truck being towed has it's air brakes plumbed to the tow rig (yes you can do that), and lights on the rear truck, I'm sure he's fine.