Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,681  
Hauling Something Wrong at near-microscopic scale:

A radioactive capsule the size of the eraser on a pencil, was lost somewhere along the highway in Australia. Similar objects have caused deaths in entire families so finding it is high priority.

This Reddit post has many replies, including descriptions of similar incidents.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,683  
That "capsule" would have been in a relatively large, lead lined container. It may well have fallen off a truck if not appropriately handled. As long as it's in the container, there is very little external radiation, so a Geiger counter won't find it. Injury/death has happened in the past when containers have been found/stolen for scrap and opened by people unaware of the contents. In the US, loss of one of these generally results in heavy fines and loss of license to handle radioactive materials.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,685  
No pictures. Today on the interstate I passed a pickup truck towing a car with a triangle shaped tow bar that mounts to the bumper of the towed vehicle, and is then connected to the tow vehicle's ball and receiver. No problems, but wait, there was a second towed vehicle connected with the same type tow bar to the first towed vehicle. Looked kind of sketchy to me. Wonder if there was any provision for brakes?

Doug in SW IA

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,686  
No pictures. Today on the interstate I passed a pickup truck towing a car with a triangle shaped tow bar that mounts to the bumper of the towed vehicle, and is then connected to the tow vehicle's ball and receiver. No problems, but wait, there was a second towed vehicle connected with the same type tow bar to the first towed vehicle. Looked kind of sketchy to me. Wonder if there was any provision for brakes?

Doug in SW IA
You see that setup along the interstate heading south a fair bit. Buying salvaged cars from the auction & towing them down to Mexico to fix & flip.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,687  

Doug in SW IA
Ok, so there really isn't a bumper on cars anymore, right? So are they connecting them to the frame somehow?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,689  
That "capsule" would have been in a relatively large, lead lined container. It may well have fallen off a truck if not appropriately handled. As long as it's in the container, there is very little external radiation, so a Geiger counter won't find it. Injury/death has happened in the past when containers have been found/stolen for scrap and opened by people unaware of the contents. In the US, loss of one of these generally results in heavy fines and loss of license to handle radioactive materials.

The capsule is tiny - 6mm x 8 mm. Probably never find it without a detector

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,690  
In Australia this is now a bit like the opening of the Simpsons :)

The company that has lost the capsule of Caesium 137 isotope is Rio Tinto. A container in the back of a truck fell apart as the corrugated road rattled the container open and the capsule fell though a hole left by a sheared bolt, somewhere during the 1400 km journey (about 870 miles).

Hopefully you will still supply us with a nuclear submarine or two :) So what if we lose a small capsule, we promise to take more care with the nuclear fuel for the sub :)

Mike

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: bcp