Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,952  
No bridge? No problem.

Bruce

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,954  
Yes Pioneer Trail was that parallel detour that had to be opened to replace US 50. The landslide was about 10? miles west of Echo Summit.

Donner Summit is the highest point on modern I -80. Where the eastbound rest area is.

Donner Pass, old US40 is parallel to new I-80 and a mile south of it. Now just a scenic 2 lane winding county secondary road. Still where the transcontinental railroad crosses the summit. And the UC snow reporting station is there, at Norden.
They opened Mormon Immigrant Trail from Pollock Pines to H-88 the two times I saw H-50 blocked 20 some odd years ago. Took them a while to plow it, as it's normally closed in the winter.

I like it, because it made Kirkwood a short trip from Placerville. Otherwise it was a much longer drive to get to Kirkwood by H-49 to H-88...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,955  
They opened Mormon Immigrant Trail from Pollock Pines to H-88 the two times I saw H-50 blocked 20 some odd years ago. Took them a while to plow it, as it's normally closed in the winter.

I like it, because it made Kirkwood a short trip from Placerville. Otherwise it was a much longer drive to get to Kirkwood by H-49 to H-88...
You're right, the proper name for that detour is Mormon Immigrant Trail.

I thought I remembered that when the bulldozers met in the middle they said they were above so many layers of ice and snow that they were 12 ft above the pavement. But that seems so incredible that I didn't mention it above. Do you remember what was in the news at the time?

More Sierra storms trivia - when I was a little kid I remember the passenger train from the east, the City of San Francisco, disappeared in 1952. It was 3 days before rescuers reached it. A tiny avalanche had blocked its forward motion and it was snowed in so badly that it couldn't back up. Finally the storm let up and US-40 got plowed so that the passengers could walk out to the highway. To a little kid the breathless news updates seemed like the sinking of the Titantic or something!

CITY-OF-SF-COVER-600x330.jpg

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,958  
What happens when you ignore the many signs and flashing lights on a tiny bridge.
334817242_3602033330045456_652122241115818493_n.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,960  
You're right, the proper name for that detour is Mormon Immigrant Trail.

I thought I remembered that when the bulldozers met in the middle they said they were above so many layers of ice and snow that they were 12 ft above the pavement. But that seems so incredible that I didn't mention it above. Do you remember what was in the news at the time?

More Sierra storms trivia - when I was a little kid I remember the passenger train from the east, the City of San Francisco, disappeared in 1952. It was 3 days before rescuers reached it. A tiny avalanche had blocked its forward motion and it was snowed in so badly that it couldn't back up. Finally the storm let up and US-40 got plowed so that the passengers could walk out to the highway. To a little kid the breathless news updates seemed like the sinking of the Titantic or something!

CITY-OF-SF-COVER-600x330.jpg
I've read about that. I have a book from the early 1960's that details the history of Donner Pass from from pre-white man to 1963 or 1964. There are pictures of the Donner Summit/US40 bridge and various plows/blowers in 16-25' of snow.

It's interesting to note that in '52 "I-80" thru California was US40; it was a 2-lane, and was twistier than current I80. From what my parents told me, imagine 2-lane US50 from Pollock Pines to Meyers. Although I80 covers most of old US40, it also realigned many curves and grades.