Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,321  
Interesting... I almost posted that it is illegal to leave a hitch in the receiver in Pennsylvania. Apparently not so!
I must have read about pending or proposed legislation that never made it to law.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,322  
347378527_1938665486502590_6399354363568978951_n.jpg
Oooppss.jpg

Cuppla' feet further forward Bub.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,324  
In some states it's illegal to leave it in. I wonder what people who live there find to bang into with their shins.
The one that gets me is people who back in to a spot along a sidewalk. By the time the back in, the back of the pickup and bumper take up a large portion of the sidewalk. And on top of that, the receiver hitch insert hangs out even further in to the sidewalk.

See that a lot where I work...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,325  
Is likely one of those things akin to fog/auxiliary lights. Strict NHTSA/DOT/CFR says anything beyond certified low beams qualifies as high beams. But the regs are worded so bad one must make a career of interpreting. Guaranteed employment for bureaucrat lawyers. Furthermore high beams are limited so the aux/fog lights are automatically turned off. So if strictly enforced the aux/fog lights are high beams and should be extinguished for oncoming traffic. There are a few states who say this explicitly in state code.

One thing indisputable: get rear ended with drawbar mounted in receiver one is liable for additional damage to the vehicle which rear ended you. Plus you get more of the impact transferred to the receiver mounts vs bumper.

So... your saying the person who was hit in the fanny is liable for damage to the offender if you have a hitch installed?????

I've been rear-ended, as well has a few work trucks have been rear-ended. The person who caused the accident was liable for all damages including replacing the hitch and reciever on the truck.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,326  
I'd like to know how they got that car to do over 120 MPH.
Wife got passed by some idiot when she was on her way back from Texas.

Driver had a bent rear axle and was all over the road when he flew past her. Wife had the cruise control set at 80mph and the guy went by her like she was standing still.

Guy all of a sudden got super squirrelly (probably shouldn't have been speeding with a bent axle) darted left into oncoming traffic just missing a dump truck, and then darted back across the road and hit an embankment where he came to a stop.

Not one person stopped to check on the idiot

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,328  
Generally, the rule is as @Renze said, ie: if they had not been following too closely they would not have caused the accident that damaged their car.
Therefore they are liable for their own damages and (if applicable) the damages to your vehicle.
The law does not differentiate between them running into your trailer hitch, the back of your car, or the back of the trailer that you are towing.
It is all considered to be the same in the eyes of the law.

Aaron Z
The one which I always question is the Maroon pulling a trailer who doesn't care if his lights don't work. I almost hit a contractor's trailer last year... I probably would have if i hadn't been pulling into the same gas station as he was. When I commented they were out he said "yeah I know, I just didn't feel like fixing them this morning.
Interesting... I almost posted that it is illegal to leave a hitch in the receiver in Pennsylvania. Apparently not so!
I must have read about pending or proposed legislation that never made it to law.
I must have done the same, and it was my comment which got us headed down this rabbit hole.
The one that gets me is people who back in to a spot along a sidewalk. By the time the back in, the back of the pickup and bumper take up a large portion of the sidewalk. And on top of that, the receiver hitch insert hangs out even further in to the sidewalk.

See that a lot where I work...
I prefer to back in, but also try not to do as you say. The problem often is the size of the parking spots. Even my Colorado will barely fit into them.