Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,081  
Some on here seem to have the left “blame the cops” for everything bad mentality
Those of us on here who have spent a few or many years on the job are not afraid to speak frankly.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,082  
You can clearly see the trucks lights. I have talked to police in rural North Carolina and Virginia ad they don't mind if the trailer does not have lights so long as you are driving during the day and can see the lights of the tow vehicle from behind.

If you do end up in the dark with no trailer ights put your flashers on!
This is something I really don't understand.

You can rewire trailer lights for $40 or so.

A set of magnetic tow lights will run you around $40ish as well.

I don't see any valid reason for running a trailer without lights, whether someone can see the truck taillights or not.

What happens if you need to haul something that blocks the view of your taillights on the tow vehicle???

Like I say, this makes no bloody sense to me

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,083  
It's rare here to see a shabby trailer, I only recall a couple, just gardener crews and not severely loaded.

But what I have never seen ever, is a trailer pulled over by LEO. This surprises me because with 'Trailers - 55mph' signs on the highways it is common to see a trailer driven by an obvious amateur at 70+ in the fast lane not getting over for anyone.

Occasionally with the inevitable result! Sometimes a boat trailer on the side of the road with the axle stub broken off, and twice now, a towed car that came off a front wheel dolly and rolled along for a while. The first one must have caused mayhem in the heavy traffic judging by the skidmarks everywhere when I finally got to the front of the traffic jam. It had come to rest at the far side of the roadside ditch. With the tow car and dolly parked just beyond it. The other one not so dramatic but when the tow car turned left, the towed car separated and made a clean entry through a corner gate into a plowed field. I saw that one as it happened. No damage.
Occasionally highway patrol will set up an inspection area on the side of the road. Most highways around here have a designated pull off area around here just for the purpose.

Usually it's for commercial vehicles. But on one occasion they really did a crackdown on all the shabby trailers being pulled by homeowners, landscapers, and builders.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,084  
Safety directors husband was in a car wreck. He got rear ended. He was in his 4 door pickup. She was driv8ng a small sport utility.

Once the dust settled the lady that rear-ended him was looking for her purse.

They found her purse in the back seat of the pickup.

Purse went through the windshield of the sport utility, through the back window of the truck, broke the headrest on the front passenger seat, and then fell back onto the floor of the back seat.

My first question to the safety director was " What the F did she have in her purse????? A brick????"

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,085  
This is something I really don't understand.

You can rewire trailer lights for $40 or so.

A set of magnetic tow lights will run you around $40ish as well.

I don't see any valid reason for running a trailer without lights, whether someone can see the truck taillights or not.

What happens if you need to haul something that blocks the view of your taillights on the tow vehicle???

Like I say, this makes no bloody sense to me
Use during the day we don't have to have trailer lights during the day but if not you are suppose to get your arm outside and make your hand turn signal...I am sick of wiring it, last time I took my time and did it right and they didn't last a week... its like my third set but it is narrower then my truck so you can see my truck lights very clearly... I did buy a magnetic set their are pretty handy, I mostly use them when hauling farm equipment with my truck on the road.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,086  
I am sick of wiring it, last time I took my time and did it right and they didn't last a week...
I hope you're exaggerating. I have rewired three trailers in the last 14 years, and all three are still working exactly as they had on day one.

For full disclosure, I did replace one tail light assembly on one of the boat trailers after several years and several hundred launches. A few of the 20-odd LED's in that assembly stopped working after enough dunks in the lake and bay, but the wiring is rock-solid.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,087  
I hope you're exaggerating. I have rewired three trailers in the last 14 years, and all three are still working exactly as they had on day one.

For full disclosure, I did replace one tail light assembly on one of the boat trailers after several years and several hundred launches. A few of the 20-odd LED's in that assembly stopped working after enough dunks in the lake and bay, but the wiring is rock-solid.
no I am not ... and the last time I made sure all the wires was well secure in split tube, taped it up and put in cables clamps and tuck everything out of the way and the first ride it got knock out...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,088  
Wow... dunno what to say about that! My landscape trailer has all wiring inside the frame, totally protected, as does my smaller boat trailer (1960's Elgin). My larger boat trailer (1980's Wesco) has exposed wiring, hung inside the C-channel frame with those hammer-on metal clips, but it's held fine since I did it ca.2008.

What do you think went wrong with yours? Usually, the only trouble I ever see with trailer wiring is corrosion at the connection points, on trailers left outdoors, or UV breakdown of the wiring insulation if they're left in the sun. Both of those failures take years, not days!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,089  
Wow... dunno what to say about that! My landscape trailer has all wiring inside the frame, totally protected, as does my smaller boat trailer (1960's Elgin). My larger boat trailer (1980's Wesco) has exposed wiring, hung inside the C-channel frame with those hammer-on metal clips, but it's held fine since I did it ca.2008.

What do you think went wrong with yours? Usually, the only trouble I ever see with trailer wiring is corrosion at the connection points, on trailers left outdoors, or UV breakdown of the wiring insulation if they're left in the sun. Both of those failures take years, not days!
Geez, is there anyone you cannot try to troll?
😝

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,090  

Rocks hit it and the way the lights are I would've had to drill holes through the frame to get to the lights in order for the wires to be totally protected. But I didn't do it so I had to go around the frame exposing the wires.