Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,481  
Any possible other action besides what he chose to do would have netted a better result.
I was thinking the same. Literally anything he would have done would have either slowed or stopped that truck. Keep driving forward, back off the trailer... anything other than jump and run!

Makes me feel better about always chocking my wheels. Sometimes others see me doing that, and look at me like I'm a wannabe trucker, but I've never had my truck and trailer roll away on me! A few short scraps of leftover 4x4 lumber is all it takes to make effective wheel chocks.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,483  
As soon as I saw the video start I knew what was going to happen. The problem is that you don't know this is going to happen until either someone tells you (teaches) or you find out the hard way. Yes, if you REALLY thought it through with a thorough failure analysis, you might think of the rear wheels lifting and thus the truck having nothing holding it stationary any more, but how many people really think this is possible without some outside influence? "That truck ain't going nowhere as it outweighs the tractor by a bunch." How would anyone think to even imagine that the rear wheels lift, the tranny is only holding the rear wheels, so if you cause the rear wheels to lift, it will roll? It just doesn't seem possible...but yet it is, and there are legions of videos like this.

"It is always the question you don't even know to ask that gets you in the end."

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,486  
As soon as I saw the video start I knew what was going to happen. The problem is that you don't know this is going to happen until either someone tells you (teaches) or you find out the hard way. Yes, if you REALLY thought it through with a thorough failure analysis, you might think of the rear wheels lifting and thus the truck having nothing holding it stationary any more, but how many people really think this is possible without some outside influence? "That truck ain't going nowhere as it outweighs the tractor by a bunch." How would anyone think to even imagine that the rear wheels lift, the tranny is only holding the rear wheels, so if you cause the rear wheels to lift, it will roll? It just doesn't seem possible...but yet it is, and there are legions of videos like this.

"It is always the question you don't even know to ask that gets you in the end."
Same, knew exactly what was going to happen.

Not sure if it's the Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia or something similar. But it's always the unknown unknows that get you. Stuff you never even thought about. Easy to mitigate a dozen different ways, but you just never knew you even should think about it.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,488  
Like driving forward to get the truck tires back on the ground: driving backwards to get the truck tires back on the ground; dropping the BH boom... probably not quite as effective but at least it would be action.
Or before loading he could have put the truck in 4WD and/or set the brake; he could have used wheel chocks; jacks on the rear of the trailer to keep it from lifting the rear of the truck.
He could have stayed home!

How many did I miss? :D
On some newer trucks 4WD won't work unless you leave it running. The hubs unlock when the key is off.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,490  
how bout this one... definitely over weight for the truck and very secured as well.

1702757350496.png

1702757367802.png

Last edited: