Sharpening drill bits

/ Sharpening drill bits #31  
Was always good at sharpening knives by hand on a stone since early teens.. had a drawer full of half dull bits.... Got to thinking one day how hard can it be... First few bits wasn't that great.. they would cut better but they weren't evenly ground.. but with time and patience it's not that hard. I just freehand them on the bench grinder..even done a few with the side grinder when in a pinch..

/ Sharpening drill bits #32  
Actually, I prefer using my 12" disc grinder over a bench grinder. I still relieve the heels on the bench grinder but I sharpen them on the disc.

/ Sharpening drill bits #33  
I have had an older (Blue, Tall cube shaped one) DD for years. It seemed to work really well for many years and then the last few times it was hit or miss. It may be I need to order a new grinding wheel for it. It also seems like I have to make sure I hold the bit by hand real tightly when I place it in the alignment port and tighten the collar or it will rotate.

I have successfully sharpened some larger bits 1/4" and up on the bench grinder.

It is really satisfying when you use a bit you sharpened either way and it produces large shavings or spirals instead of fine shavings and drilling a hole only takes a few seconds.

Did a search and I have the Classic Model 500 or maybe the 750. Classic Model 500 - Drill Doctor
I have to say, I like how it looks more substantial than the current models.

Last edited:
   / Sharpening drill bits #34  
I have a full-blown Tool Grinder for my milling cutters, reamers and large drills. For daily drilling bits, I walk over to the grinder and do those by hand. Bing-Bang-Boom. They're done. All the best cutting bits I have were done by hand. Learn to keep your grinding stones dressed and square and fresh water in cooling pan/tray. ;)

/ Sharpening drill bits #35  
I'm sure I'm in the minority regarding satisfaction with my Drill Doctor. Being a drill bit hoarder, I had collect some 400 dull bits. I also purchased the best DD out there and enjoyed absolutely zero satisfaction in the results. Most of those 400 bits are still dull and unusable.

At best, I ended up with perhaps 1 in 10 bits that were properly sharpened. No doubt at all that my lack of skill in operating the DD was cause, but what can I say... The DD ads did not produce the magical results that I expected.
Yeah try it again after you study a new drill and understand the 2 "movements" required for sharpening. Read the instructions again and watch all the videos you can.
Possibly the 1 out of 10 that worked was the only one out of 10 put in the "chuck" or holder correctly. 👍

/ Sharpening drill bits #36  
I'm sure I'm in the minority regarding satisfaction with my Drill Doctor. Being a drill bit hoarder, I had collect some 400 dull bits. I also purchased the best DD out there and enjoyed absolutely zero satisfaction in the results. Most of those 400 bits are still dull and unusable.

At best, I ended up with perhaps 1 in 10 bits that were properly sharpened. No doubt at all that my lack of skill in operating the DD was cause, but what can I say... The DD ads did not produce the magical results that I expected.
thats very weird. ive never had any issues touching up drill bits with my DD. i just took a 24" x 1/4" pilot bit i use for exploratory drilling that wasnt drilling even thru wood, hit it with the DD. now its cutting thru metal electrical panels again.

/ Sharpening drill bits #37  
Another thumbs up for the Drill Dr, I bought mine 10 years ago out if the USA and run it of a step dowd transformer, 240v to 110v. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and I can sharpen a drill by hand pretty well, but cannot beat the Drill DR!

/ Sharpening drill bits #38  
Was always good at sharpening knives by hand on a stone since early teens.. had a drawer full of half dull bits.... Got to thinking one day how hard can it be... First few bits wasn't that great.. they would cut better but they weren't evenly ground.. but with time and patience it's not that hard. I just freehand them on the bench grinder..even done a few with the side grinder when in a pinch..
Many years ago I just looked at a large drill bit tip, the angle, taper, how it ramps up (left hand bits opposite of right). I use a "weak" bench grinder, el-cheapo I can stop by hand.
After sharpening I lightly twist it against my finger, you can feel the cutting edge. I sharpen them all the time & they work great.

/ Sharpening drill bits #39  
I've been sharpening drills since I was about 14. I started tool room training and was told, "A machinist that can't sharpen a drill is like a secretary that can't sharpen a pencil." I'm right handed, but hold the drill left handed. I could see the cutting edge easier that way. Now, sixty plus years later, I use a Drill Doctor on anything less than 1/4". The eyes just don't work like they used to. It takes practice, but then so does everything else.
My dad was a machinist and taught me how to sharpen bits. I have two bench grinders, one a modern 8" motor grinder, and one that is a 6" belt driven mandrel with a selection of wheels. I have a magnifying light mounted over that one for fine detail work like sharpening lathe tools and drill bits. The 8" grinder is a coarse wheel and wire wheel. The small grinder has a polishing wheel, scotch-brite wheel, fine carbide and diamond wheels. It only takes a couple minutes to swap them. Belt drive lets me use a 3-step sheave on the motor for variable speed. That was my first grinder, a gift from my dad when I was a kid, and I will never part with it. Of course, I have upgraded it a bit in the intervening 60 years. :unsure:

/ Sharpening drill bits #40  
I've been using the Drill Doctor for years on bits 3/16 & larger. Anything smaller takes more effort than it's worth. I just toss them & replace.