Sharpening...

/ Sharpening... #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
I need to sharpen my Valby chipper blades. The blades need to be sharpened at two angles. I really hate to go out and buy a special sharpener just to sharpen my chipper blades once a year. I was wondering if I could use my table saw with a grinding wheel? Or possible making a "jig" for the bench grinder that is adjustable? Any other ideas or thoughts? I sharpen my mower blades "free hand" and seem to come out pretty well. I think the chipper is a little more sensitive to the angle and how consistent it is.

Any comments or suggestions welcome?

/ Sharpening... #2  
I was just planning on taking my chipper blades to a sharpening service. I bought a second set so that I can keep working while the other set is out.

-david

/ Sharpening... #3  
A conical disc sander with a neat fixture to keep the blade at the 'angle' would work well. Another is to use a strip sander with a strip for metal sharpening. Again, using a small fixture to maintain blade angle.

/ Sharpening... #4  
I finally decided to take the 3 small chipper knives from my Bearcat C/S to a PRO. They do a lot of woodworking planer blades. My blades came back perfect. They looked like brand new. They have the knowhow and equipment to do the job right.

Chris

/ Sharpening...
Chris

That's most likely what I will do. There is a machine shop sort of near by. I'll give him a try. Also will get the second set of knives.

mrcaptinbob

I have used the sanding technique on lawn mower blades. Works most excellent. My chipper knives are going to be in pretty poor shape and will to have quite a bit of material removed.

What do most of you use as a guide line to sharpen your knives? Is there a way to tell by the chips or do you just do it at a certain time interval. My manual just says to sharpen when dull.

Thanks