She only Needs Half a Squirt

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
I have a lawn tractor that takes about 10 seconds of cranking in cold weather to start. Well, today I found a can of ether starting fluid and one quick squirt makes it start with the first compression stroke.

Since I don't like using more than absolutely necessary, I'm thinking a half a squirt or even possibly a fourth of a squirt may do the trick. Now for the question; light drum roll please - how does one do a half or quarter squirt from an aerosol can? :laughing::laughing:

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #2  
What I do when I want to use as little ether as possible is to spray the air in front of the intake instead of directly into the intake. I spray something like a foot away from the intake and 90 degrees to the intake just trying to spray the air that will be drawn into the intake. That way the ether is mixed with air before it enters the intake which decreases the concentration. I really hate the stuff because I know it is bad for the motor but sometimes it is just necessary. So I try to get as little in the motor as possible and still get it started.

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #3  
Try a little WD40. That's what Briggs & Stratton says to use in their classes. Then a 1/4 or 1/2 a squirt wouldn't be so critical.

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #4  
Ether on a gas engine!? Are you sure you don't need a tune-up? Is your choke adjusted? How's your compression?

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #5  
I would say get a can of carb. cleaner, not as flammable as ether, but doesn"t do as much damage to engine neither. Also if your engine is the older type open the bottom adjustment screw on the bottom on the fuel bowl about another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. zman

/ She only Needs Half a Squirt #6  
Get yourself an empty small chainsaw oil bottle. I use one of my empty Stihl bottles. Drill a 1/8 hole in the cap. Fill with 2 cycle mix so you can use it on 2 cycle engines too. Give a little squirt. Also, make sure the choke is closing all the way as mentioned.