Shear bolt breakage ???

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #1  

etcallhome

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1026R
Just wondering, I bought 47" blower used this fall and so far I have replaced 15-20 grade 5 bolts.....OK about 12-15 probably my fault...Going in to frozen snow , doing edge of road .
2/3 of bolts I have replaced is on the right side. Only 2 on 2nd stage 1 yesterday my fault not running rpm high enough and in some wet snow, clogged up shoot.
I noticed that left side has a shorter auger shaft compared to right side.
I ran blower with right side broken and went in the same snow pile that had broken shear bolt on the right side. Blew snow and ice for 15 min or more before I replaced the right side.
So I'm thinking the longer shaft right side , more snow to move is the reason for me breaking more shear bolts on right compared to left.
I love the snow blower yes some vibration , will check set screws ,chain and ujoint aliment .
Moved a pile of snow yesterday about 70' in length , 4 ' high and about 6' deep.
Thanks for all replies in advance

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #2  
Hi! I had the same problem when I first got my blower. When I broke my first shear bolt, I read in the manual not to overtightened them. Broke 3 more in 2 days. I then realize that the bolt were getting loose, which made the auger noisier and eventually broke the bolt. Now I put them nice and tight making sure not to overtightened them to the point they would break, and after each snowfall I check them by moving the auger by hand to see if there is any loose bolts. Only broke one since with a chunk of ice.

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #3  
Wow, how in the heck are you guys snapping these shear bolts? I have over 1000 ft of driveway to clear and I had a 47 snow blower for 5 yrs on an X485 tractor and never broke a bolt. It also ran very smooth with no vibration whatsoever. In fact, if no snow was flying out the chute you couldn't tell if the blower was running or not.

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #4  
Better the shear bolts break, than break the auger.

Ice is like a rock, and either chew through it slow, or break a shear pin. That is the limit of the snowblower. Cant bulldoze ice out of the way. Maybe the vibration is from a bent part in the impeller or the auger. ??

One good reason I chose a blade over a blower. Blower is too slow (for me). :)

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #5  
try an allen head bolt the original allen name its much stronger.

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #6  
Wow, how in the heck are you guys snapping these shear bolts? I have over 1000 ft of driveway to clear and I had a 47 snow blower for 5 yrs on an X485 tractor and never broke a bolt. It also ran very smooth with no vibration whatsoever. In fact, if no snow was flying out the chute you couldn't tell if the blower was running or not.

It all depend on the kind of snow or driveway your doing. Last year in December, we received some snow followed by rain and then -15 C. Perfect cocktail to have chunk of ice in your driveway when the city plow decide to widen the street 6 days later. But this is not the issue, what is, is that your shear bolt do what there suppose to do, break before the gear pinion does. If in 5 yrs you never blow any hard icy snow or if your driveway is all pave no rock, then all is well, but if this is not the case, I would have a look at the grade of those shear bolt. Better be safe than sorry.

Sal 64, the recommended grade is very important. I always feel good when I catch something hard, and the bolt brakes. I know it did its job.

/ Shear bolt breakage ???
Well worked on snow blower today and the left side the nut was very loose.
also found the set screws were loose on the right side.

Also the front bolt for the shoe was within 1/16 or less of touching auger as it was spinning. Turned that bolt around and put nut on the outside of blower.

Also where back propeller and shaft come together I noticed the set screw is missing I will need to get one (well 2 or 3 ) of these. But nothing seems to be moving to get things out of adjustment.

Noticed someone said they never broke a shear bolt. Must not have county or state road come along and plow back the roads...
The other night I was out blowing snow for close to 3 hrs. As long as I was on fresh snow day or two old never sheared a bolt.

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #8  
As beenthere said, shear bolts or pins are designed to break as a specific point to protect both upstream and down stream parts. Be sure to replace them with the same type, nothing stronger.

We have had our tractor / snow blower for three years and have never broken a shear bolt. I am a little afraid to say that I will jinx myself. :eek:

In use I have very little vibration in the snow blower except if I raise it too high when running. Then the universal joints complain.

John

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #9  
HTML:
Well worked on snow blower today and the left side the nut was very loose.

etcallhome, tight does nuts nice and snug and keep an eye on them, you will see a big difference. It will eliminate some noise also. It sure did with mine.

/ Shear bolt breakage ??? #10  
Add some Loctite to those set screw also when you replace them.