Shed Deck Floor Extension Options?

/ Shed Deck Floor Extension Options? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
I going to add an 8 x 12 foot extension, 12' wide by 8' long to my existing 12' by 24 ' shed. The floor is 3/4 inch plywood on 4 x 4 on 2 foot centers on top of a stone base. What do you think the best way would be to make the connection between the new and old floor? Butting the new 4 X4 to the old and then sister 2 x4 x8 on either side of the connection. Or place the new 4 x 4 along side of the old 4 x 4 and bolt them together? If you use this method how far would you overlap the 4 x 4's? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

/ Shed Deck Floor Extension Options? #2  
It sounds like this is an exterior deck to the existing shed. If so, I'd use another 4x4 (pressure treated) that is 12' long and bolt it to the existing 4x4. Put some a thin shim between the 4x4s before bolting so any water that gets in between can dry out. Then build out from the new 4x4. It's almost like the new deck was self-contained frame, and then bolted to the existing floor 4x4 to make it a solid connection.

What are you planning to use for the deck flooring? It will need to be 3/4" thick or else you'll need to adjust the height of the 4x4 header accordingly.

You might want to consider 16" on center 2x6 framing instead of 4x4 -- it will be stronger since 4" of depth is not enough to carry a 8' load, but a 2x6 would do fine with an 8' span. 24" on centers would also work fine as long as your decking material was sturdy enough to span 24" without too much deflection. This approach would mean bolting a 2x6 to your existing 4x4, and hanging the 2x6 joists from it using galvanized joist hangers.

Go Sox!

/ Shed Deck Floor Extension Options?
Thanks for the info, but just to be clear on the project, the expansion is not a deck, but a 8 x 12 addition to the existing shed. Got to make more room for more tools/tractor stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sox Yankee game this Sunday should be interesting.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Shed Deck Floor Extension Options? #4  
If it's a shed addition, I'd still do it the same way. Pressure treated 2x6's 24" on center can span 8'2". You might want to double them up on the 4 sides. If you support the outside header on the corners and in the middle you should be fine. You can get the joist hangers at Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck on your project -- you can never have too much room for the tools.