Shibaura electrical issues #2

/ Shibaura electrical issues #2 #1  

currierej

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1810D
In my previous post I detailed about all the electrical work I did on my tractor, after over a year the only problem turns out to be a bad gauge.
Tonight I replaced the gauge, when I did the rewire I also replaced the fuel tank sender (to match the new gauge) it was reading 1/8 to 7/8 instead of E to F, while I had the dash apart for the bad gauge I removed the sender and shortened the arm on the float by about 1 1/2", I figure that should be close.
Before putting everything back together I decided to drain the fuel tank completely to see how close the empty reading is (Empty is really the only reading that I care about).
I disconnected the fuel line before the fuel pump and drained it into a spare gas can.
I discovered that there is a petcock on the bottom of my fuel tank (It's tucked in behind so much cowling and linkages that I never knew it was there) it seems to be off-on-off, and the on position is literally dribbling the fuel.
It's a 1/4" fuel line it is not even flowing a steady stream.
The tractor seems to be running at full power so I believe it is getting enough fuel, but the pitiful fuel flow bothers me, when it finally drains do any of you think that I should remove the petcock and either try to improve the flow, or just eliminate it completely and add a fuel shut-off inline (or not bother at all)?

/ Shibaura electrical issues #2 #2  
Does removing the cap make any difference?

Often there is a fine screen on the fuel tank outlet and it may be getting blocked. Removing the valve assembly when the tank is empty should let you see what is happening.

Dave M7040