Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #11  
You are working with wrong gas dealer..... Quality bottles with good valves don't leak, and if you have bottle that is leaking most quality LWS will replace bottle and the take leaking bottle out of service....

All my bottles sit for weeks, months or a year of two without valves leaking... Because my LWS cares...

All my bottle are always exchanges and never have i been hit with hydrostatic test charge...

If fellow you are dealing with keeps reneging on any compensation, just walk away, it won't get any better....

When I went in to get my shield gas bottle I intended to purchase a 125 cu-ft bottle... Did transaction at front counter, and went to get bottle off gas dock, dock jock said hmmm all out if 125's here take a 175.... Been exchanging and paying for 175 fill ever since and never a question asked...

Dale

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks
Lick your wounds and move on to another supplier. If you are lucky they will accept your current bottles but don't be surprised if they won't take them in exchange.

I had a similar experience with a supplier giving me a smaller bottle then not wanting to take it back in exchange and charging me extra to get the size I originally took in. I'm using a different supplier now.

I had also been getting discounts and special treatment for years due to my association through work so I was ahead of the game. As people moved on and retired from my usual supplier all that evaporated and prices escalated beyond what I could get from one of their competitors.

Likely what I am going to do. Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks
You are working with wrong gas dealer..... Quality bottles with good valves don't leak, and if you have bottle that is leaking most quality LWS will replace bottle and the take leaking bottle out of service....

All my bottles sit for weeks, months or a year of two without valves leaking... Because my LWS cares...

All my bottle are always exchanges and never have i been hit with hydrostatic test charge...

If fellow you are dealing with keeps reneging on any compensation, just walk away, it won't get any better....

When I went in to get my shield gas bottle I intended to purchase a 125 cu-ft bottle... Did transaction at front counter, and went to get bottle off gas dock, dock jock said hmmm all out if 125's here take a 175.... Been exchanging and paying for 175 fill ever since and never a question asked...

Dale

Nice, sounds like you found a good one. I live in a very rural area and my choices are limited. Also, I have to drive 30 minutes to the next town over for either of the suppliers. And by either, I mean two, so I don't have a lot of options.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #14  
Nice, sounds like you found a good one. I live in a very rural area and my choices are limited. Also, I have to drive 30 minutes to the next town over for either of the suppliers. And by either, I mean two, so I don't have a lot of options.

My closest reasonable gas dealer is 37 miles away..... Local hardware store has bottles (usually) but either they are out of size I want or stupid clerk can not seem to figure out about exchanges ...

Yeah its hassle but for piece of mind, I take the trip... But I usually combine it with going to steel suppliers, tractor/farm store and even a grab a burger at favorite burger joint...

Dale

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #15  
I swapped out acetylene and oxygen tanks yesterday that were 13 years old, and never leaked. I had returned to the shop that sold them to me (a relatively major player in the PNW), and they verified that I owned the tanks. They never examined the tanks for test dates.

I did have a leaky valve on one of my two 125 gallon propane tanks which were manifolded together. I was irked they sold me a used tank when I ordered the second tank for installation, and now know I should have sent it back. I shut one off for earthquakes in case they separate, and noticed that the tank that was turned off dropped to the same level as the other tank. I swapped the primary/secondary function, but learned a lesson about older tank valves.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #16  
It's annoying but you can buy plugs for the outlet of the gas cylinders. You would have to remove your regulator each time but if thank's valve is leaking internally a plug would stop it. If it's leaking around the threads on the end of the cylinder I would have the new gas supplier deal with it. Tightening it might do it but if it's already over tight then it could make it worse. Ideally swapping the bottle would be best.

I do agree with the others, swap to a different supplier. I often don't go through gas quick enough and even though I own my bottle the company I deal with doesn't care if it needs to be tested again. They just swap them no questions asked. They are often too quick and I don't get a good chance to look at all the welding equipment I need, lol.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #17  
:thumbdown:Darn. Sounds like you were dealing with :mad:AIRGAS, A little more here , some more theres then oh yea you owe us :banghead:more. Then when you call them on it saying it cost half that 5 years back they try to blame it on 911, security, documentation :thumbdown:requirements. They have more excuses than a convict.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #19  
Not shielded gas but Oxy/Acetylene tanks.
The fillers seem to use a hi powered hammer gun to close/fuse the valves so much so that the only way to open the Oxygen is vice grips but then can't close it.
Results in 10-20 mins of welding and a week later tank is empty!
(note that's on 'porta tank' kits.)

I'll add that my minimal need of Ox/Acc is so minimal that I refuse to sign a contract for a set of tanks.
What with grinder disks a propane Ox/Acc is now usually a thing of the past.
Only remaining need is heating frozen rusted studs/bolts and even that often can be surmounted.

/ Shielding Gas Bottle Leaks #20  
Here in Canada we are very fortunate. Air Liquide and Airgas were always the worst to deal with. A few years back AL bought out Airgas.

It’s become a real timesaver for me. Now I only have to go to ONE location instead of two to get ****ed.

Edit. I’m pretty certain AL owns Airgas in the US as well.