Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #61  
We've had freezing rain on ice so getting through the mountains is difficult at the moment. We do have plans to 'Git er Done'.

Of course!
Pick a good driving day.
The shingles monster is not likely to get you in the next two weeks.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #62  
Ok, you guys have scared me into getting my shingles shot.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #63  
Ok, you guys have scared me into getting my shingles shot.

My Father-in-Law and Sister-in-Law have had shingles and both say the pain is almost unbearable. I don't like pain so first chance I get, I'm getting that shot.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #64  
The PA that gave me Valacyclovir at 6 months also said it was far too late for it to work but she thought it was worth a try. All I know is I got better a week later. If I ever get shingles again I will be on the health portal requesting a prescription for that drug asap.

The original Zostavax vaccine was a live virus. If given to somebody that never had chickenpox it could end up causing them to get shingles when they were otherwise not at risk. I didn't learn any of that until after my bad 6 month experience with the affliction. Doctors tend to push vaccines when in this case they should have verified you had chickenpox before administering the Zostavax vaccine. Zostavax is no longer available for use in the United States, as of November 18, 2020.

I went ahead and got the Shingrix vaccine when it came out.

I haven't had a flu shot in twenty years or better. They say it can't happen but the last time I got a flu shot I came down with the flu soon after and it lasted two weeks.
Brothers family got the flu shot as a group. He was the only one standing two weeks later. His wife and all 4 kids came down with the flu.

A couple years later they tried again with the same results. He took care of his wife and all 4 kids for a week.

The quickest way now to get his blood pressure up is to suggest that his family get the flu shot.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #65  
Doofy - doesn't Glennallen still have that nice little clinic? I'm surprised they would charge $500. I agree - the 130 mile trip to Palmer would be better.

My Dr cautioned - in no uncertain terms - don't scratch the little red sores AND KEEP MY HANDS AWAY FROM MY EYES. Very likely to loose your sight should shingles transfer to your eyes. I could not afford this - already blind in my right eye.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #66  
Doofy - doesn't Glennallen still have that nice little clinic? I'm surprised they would charge $500. I agree - the 130 mile trip to Palmer would be better.

My Dr cautioned - in no uncertain terms - don't scratch the little red sores AND KEEP MY HANDS AWAY FROM MY EYES. Very likely to loose your sight should shingles transfer to your eyes. I could not afford this - already blind in my right eye.

oosik,
Yes, we still have the clinic plus the Copper River Native Association built a Modern Clinic in the gravel pit at the bottom of Simpson Hill. We haven't been there yet but hear it is really nice. Not sure why we still get gouged every time we turn around. Thanks for the tip about not touching your eyes if you have shingles, I'm terrible about not rubbing my eyes.

Hope you are Well!

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #67  
Brownie( Cocker Spaniel ) and I are doing fine. However - staying in the house and around the property is making this the LONGEST winter ever.

Of course, as my Dr tells me not to rub my eyes - they start itching wildly. I was quite lucky - only having a mild case. However - even this mild case hurt like mad. Each little red lesion would burn like being branded with a soldering iron and itch like mad - all at the same time. Just having my T-shirt touch them would almost make me scream. Slept naked for three weeks - no undershirt, no sheets. It was an experience I will never forget.

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #68  
So, what shots were important in your youth to getting this or ailments that you had, like mumps, chicken pox or measils?

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #69  
We didn't have shots for mumps, measles or chicken pox. We just got sick a lot. I had mumps 3 times, chicken pox twice, and measles once. As I recall, none of them were pleasant. Fevers and throwing up in a dishpan. 2nd chicken pox I was 21. It was awful. Thousands of little sores everywhere (even there) on my body. I still have hundreds of scars 39 years later. It wasn't pleasant. I was down for a week. I'll be 60 in a few months.

I have no idea what vaccinations I was given when young, but I have the same little round scar on my upper arm that all of us have that are my age. I remember my friends and I comparing them over the years when growing up. Girls had them, too. :laughing:

/ Shingles, Swelling, and Loss of Muscle Mass #70  
That big scar on your arm was the Smallpox vaccine. It made a big blister and then a scab and then a scar for the rest of your life. Good Times!