Shipping container axles adding?

/ Shipping container axles adding? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Folks, has anyone here added axles to there shipping container to make it readily moveable?? I've been working on some 20ft versions at work and noted one in town the company had added three axles and hitch to. It looked rather nice and said they'd done that just to make it easier to move.

Last edited:
   / Shipping container axles adding? #2  
How often do you think that you'll move it?
A "roll back" (think flat bed tow truck) can move them fast and easy. I have 3 of the 20's for jobsite storage and that's how I moved them. They're about 5000# empty and adding the running gear and tongue, lights, Jack's, etc.
no insignificant cost doing that. Older "box" truck bodies are cheaper and lighter. I had a few of these I made into storage trailers. Depending on the space required, a 14-16' body can be dropped on a set of (farm) wagon gears really easily.

/ Shipping container axles adding?
Twice a year and it having axles making it a trailer might circumvent any city codes. Plus I'd not need to rely on some one else to move it. Do you have pics of the ones you added axles to?

Last edited:
   / Shipping container axles adding? #4  
Don't know about MI, but in most states, if you are planning on moving it on a public roadway, it will need to be tagged as a trailer. Whole new can of worms.

/ Shipping container axles adding? #5  
Would you be moving it empty?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-151004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-151004_Chrome.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 360
   / Shipping container axles adding? #6  
For minimal around the property trips to get around code just weld some axle stubs to it and have the wheels barely on the ground.

/ Shipping container axles adding? #7  
Folks, has anyone here added axles to there shipping container to make it readily moveable?? I've been working on some 20ft versions at work and noted one in town the company had added three axles and hitch to. It looksed rather nice and said they'd done that just to make it easier to move.
They have removable container wheel kits that use the corner post attachment points.

/ Shipping container axles adding?
It would need to be moved about 5 miles each spring and fall while empty and I'd just do that under the radar, aka no tags. I'd add the axles and springs and leave them on. Putting on a axle system on and off would be to much of a hassle. I'll try to get a picture of the locale one I seen this week.

Last edited:
   / Shipping container axles adding? #9  
It will be over 9' wide unless you put wheels under the box.

/ Shipping container axles adding? #10  
I took a 65 foot mobile home frame and cut it down to 40 foot to haul the one I had. I used all the metal I cut off as reinforcements for the trailer. I used jacks and a piece of I-beam with reinforced wooden reels to span one end, then backed the trailer up underneath it. When I got to the other end, I jacked it up and pulled the trailer out, then jacked it back down to the ground. A Simplex jack with the little foot on it works great!
At the last minute, I decided to call a wrecker company to haul the trailer the 30 miles to where it was going, as they were permitted to haul the trailer without tags and my half ton pickup truck would be stressed to pull it (the container was loaded). The tare weight on the 40 foot box was 2700 pounds, because it was almost all aluminum.
David from jax