Shipping container building

/ Shipping container building #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
Out driving today saw someone building with two 40 ft shipping containers and a roof on top between the containers. Looks like the spacing between the containers was 30 or so ft and the roof was prefabricated tubing. Not sure what the plan is for the roof covering. Would love to hear from others that have built shops with shipping containers and roofs between containers?

/ Shipping container building #2  
Local to me a fellow has two 40 foot containers with maybe 20 feet between them and wood trusses with sheet metal roof spanning gap to form sheltered garage/work area...

Dale

Last edited:
   / Shipping container building #3  
There's a member here that has a setup like that. Wanna say he did a thread about it. Not sure. Can't for the life of me remember who the member is....

/ Shipping container building #7  
C227C2BA-92AC-4211-AD4E-AE694B4B805D.jpeg

In a few months I will let you know. My containers are 15 feet apart. I plan to span over them with a roof. The covered area between the containers will be used to store implements. Containers provide great cheap storage. They keep the sun, rain, wasps, squirrels, and most importantly mice away from my tractors and other stuff.

/ Shipping container building #8  

------------ Yes.. I still have this in my "good idea" note book.. If you know where to look with the leaves off, there is a structure like this about 20 km from us.. It has a much higher head room on the center section between the containers.. I like that.. The picture in the initial post I made is not the style I want to build, just the picture I could get to copy, paste, load.

New detail........... I see some containers that have 2 sets of doors, like in the end, but on the side of the container.. That would work well for one of the containers, facing the center section.. Grey matter still perking away on this project.. We still have a meter and a half of snow on the flat..

/ Shipping container building #9  
I think the containers with side doors are a little harder to find. Not sure how good your resources are there.

Would definitely be a plus used in the configuration you are considering!!!

/ Shipping container building #10  
There are companies out in the world that specialize in the custom "remodel" of containers to fit your needs by adding (personnel and rollup) doors and windows and allow for heating/cooling and vent fans, electricals, would have no object to having containers on property as work area and storage, IF YOU DESIGN PROPER ACCESS AND VENTILATION for unit, not just accepting it "as is".... If you are suffering when working in container it is most like your fault and not the basic design of container... If you have the cutting and welding tools, modification that suit your needs are endless....

There is a "Building Off The Grid" episode where a person placed four, 40 footers side by side and cut out walls and doors to make self contained off grid cabin... You are only limited by your imagination...

THE only really objectionable thing I find is how doors latch at bottom, sort of makes it impossible to create permanent ramp to move things into container, though removing standard doors and adding a roll up would be quite nice modification...

Dale

Last edited: