Shipping container with side doors for storage

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #31  
"I suspect the container would be cooler inside if the roof were run to entirely cover the container top and then air could flow between the top of the container and the roof. And the sun would beat down on the roof instead of directly on the container top."

2Many, I can confirm your suspicions completely - I have 5 containers; a 20' standard, 2 40' standards and 2 40' Hi Cubes - The 20' is presently the ONLY one with a roof - roof is 24' x 24', which leaves about a 14' wide x 24' area BESIDE the container where my gantry crane, O/A welder and some storage shelves live - that is the ONLY container that (partly from a couple shade trees, but mostly the roof) is ALWAYS the same temperature as the outside air - I've never seen condensation or any other problem in that one in just over 10 years.

The two standard 40's are end to end, making an 80' long storage area 12' away from, and parallel to, my (mostly) wood shop - whenever the sun shines, those two (with unfettered southern exposure) need to have some sort of ventilation or they COOK whatever's inside them; presently this is done with exhaust fans hung just inside one of the doors, a royal PITA that I have greenhouse cooling systems in house (but yet to be installed) - once those are done (involves some plasma cutting and impenetrable inlet vents, plus the automatic exhaust fans)

The two 40' Hi cubes are side by side, and eventually will get a slab poured and relocated - looking at putting a 48'x60' pole structure over the whole thing, which will give about 30x60 enclosed space for working on the bigger equipment - 25' scissor lift, 50' boom lift, 2 tractors, backhoe, 6 yd dump truck, etc.

Without the fans on (20" commercial in each container) I've measured (60 degree day, slight breeze, full sun) as much as 150 degrees F inside ALL 4 using an IR temp gun. The fans drop it to around 100-110 degrees. The northern HiCube stays a little cooler because it's shaded by the southern one, which has full southern exposure on the south side.

Would I do it that way again? Maybe not exactly, but yeah; partly because I have a "neighbor" on one side that needs to be reminded from time to time that I really DO have a 12 gauge AND a backhoe, and am too old and cranky to think FIRST - I musta got the "Dirty Harry" character pretty close, 'cause in the last few years things've settled down over there noticeably 😈

Pics or it didn't happen :cool: ... Steve

Oh, the roof frame is mostly .120 wall 2" tube with some 1/4" wall where needed, still gotta fab double doors for both ends and a wall (right side of pic for a drive-thru) - The entire roof is modular, eventually I want to put a 3 car garage with a partial second story that would just clear that gray triangle near the center - the open side is framed in 3 identical 8'x12' modules that are bolt together, so that side can be dismantled in 3 sections.

Also, the jacks are HF's 20 ton air/hydraulic, I used some 3/4x3 FB and made a couple of "sorta" toe jack conversions - I re-plumbed the air control a bit so I could have either one jack on each side or on each end, and control BOTH from wherever I needed to be to see what I was doing. Works OK, but I'd do the toe jack adapter a bit different next time...

Attachments

• DSCN3415.JPG
    DSCN3415.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 89
  • ContLvl-3.jpg
    ContLvl-3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
  • ContLvl-5.jpg
    ContLvl-5.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 83
  • SmContRoof-1.jpg
    SmContRoof-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
   / Shipping container with side doors for storage #32  
Without the fans on (20" commercial in each container) I've measured (60 degree day, slight breeze, full sun) as much as 150 degrees F inside ALL 4 using an IR temp gun. The fans drop it to around 100-110 degrees. The northern HiCube stays a little cooler because it's shaded by the southern one, which has full southern exposure on the south side.

Exactly what I have been talking about. I knew that enclosed trailers, especially darker colored ones could get much, much hotter than the ambient temperature outside on days with full sun. So I knew a giant metal container would only prove more problematic.

So you are confirming that the roof makes a considerable difference? As in alone it makes it close to ambient temperature outside? I am really looking into what Scootr said his neighbor had. Two containers separated far enough apart to have an open area in the middle. If the roof and maybe a couple vents keep them cool then I am very interested. We have a HOA that does not like stuff like this. However, I was thinking if they were painted and had a nice roof over them no one would give me too much trouble. Plus I want them to look good anyway.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #33  
Since used cargo trailers seem to be coming down in price, I'm no longer paying attention to the shipping containers. Nonetheless, if I had one, I'd cut holes in it and install add high and low venting to get the heat out. You can do this and keep the mice out at the same time.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #34  
This is what I noticed also. Preccovid a WWT 20' was $2700. Now $3700. That's more than a 10x16 shed and it dosnt look terrible like a container.

For refrence I'm about 5hrs from the port in NJ.
Wow that's cheap containers are 5k+ for 20' and 6.5k+ for 40' here

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #35  
"I'd cut holes in it and install add high and low venting to get the heat out. You can do this and keep the mice out at the same time."

Arly, exactly my plan; I already have 4 complete "greenhouse systems" - exhaust is a 16" fan with thermostat control, will go opposite end of side wall from doors, near ceiling. Inlet is 24" louvered, actuated when exhaust fan is on, will go 2' inside door near the floor.

I have most of the parts cut out and templates made so I can plasma cut from inside - I made the templates so they can be held against the wall with a "cargo bar" from inside, they have "outriggers" ( think "4-legged spider") that'll keep the template from exiting the container along with the cutout.

The 24" inlet needs to keep out small, medium and large pests (think bugs, mice, squirrels and "2-legged" :rolleyes:

Hexa Fox, yes - that's EXACTLY what I meant. If the sun can't get to ANY PART of the container, then the only thing that can heat it (without an actual heater inside) is ambient air... Steve

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #36  
"I'd cut holes in it and install add high and low venting to get the heat out. You can do this and keep the mice out at the same time."

Arly, exactly my plan; I already have 4 complete "greenhouse systems" - exhaust is a 16" fan with thermostat control, will go opposite end of side wall from doors, near ceiling. Inlet is 24" louvered, actuated when exhaust fan is on, will go 2' inside door near the floor.

I have most of the parts cut out and templates made so I can plasma cut from inside - I made the templates so they can be held against the wall with a "cargo bar" from inside, they have "outriggers" ( think "4-legged spider") that'll keep the template from exiting the container along with the cutout.

The 24" inlet needs to keep out small, medium and large pests (think bugs, mice, squirrels and "2-legged" :rolleyes:

Hexa Fox, yes - that's EXACTLY what I meant. If the sun can't get to ANY PART of the container, then the only thing that can heat it (without an actual heater inside) is ambient air... Steve
Well, not really. I'd do it withone any fans.

It’s All About Airflow​

Roof ventilation is based on the simple fact that warm air rises. In summer, the sun heats air in the attic. In winter, heat from your home warms attic air. In either season, good venting occurs when cool air can enter the attic near the eaves and exit near the peak. Ideally, half of the vent area should be low and half high. The ultimate goal is that the temperature and humidity levels in the attic space match the conditions outdoors.

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #37  
Yeah, I agree; I forgot to mention the "manual" mode my kits have, lets you keep the inlet louvers open WITHOUT the fan running - not quite ideal, but I need to be able to work inside during hot weather so having the option of power ventilation should keep things noticeably cooler inside (the inlet louvers will be on the North side)

Here's a preliminary sketch I did a few years ago, note the cutout between containers at fronts, and plenum at far back - North container will be steel storage/welding/crane, South one tools/machining. Outer walls may change, I want the most open space I can get... Steve

Attachments

• ContainerShop-2.jpg
    ContainerShop-2.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 58
   / Shipping container with side doors for storage #38  
Oh, some OTHER good news (for me, anyway) - I already have all the channel and I beam for this project, bought it just before I retired 10 years ago, it's stored in one of the standard 40's (occasionally I do something right) 👍

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage
I'd like to see one of these side door units. :unsure:
Here is one that is 40ft by 8ft. This unit has rear doors and then two sets of side doors. This is the kind of unit I am thinking about. I have seen a wide range of prices from new at 13K to used ones at just under 6K.

1680917402743.png

/ Shipping container with side doors for storage #40  
Wow that's cheap containers are 5k+ for 20' and 6.5k+ for 40' here
Yep, there are some in an auction here. The final auction isn't until tomorrow, but the "pre-bids" are approaching those prices already! And it doesn't include delivery, which you have to arrange after you 'win' them.

Far cheaper to build, and build right!