Shipping Help

/ Shipping Help #1  

C-Range

Advertiser
Tractor
Various
Hello,

I'm developing a set of lightweight pallet forks for SCUT's and trying to find an economical way to ship them to buyers. They will weight 180Lbs in total. Each fork weighs ~60Lbs and can be shipped separately. The rest of the frame weighs ~60Lbs. So far, I've been seeing estimates of around $150, which seems high. Does anyone have any insight to offer? Thanks much.

The pallet forks can be seen in this thread if interested:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/176209-lightweight-pallet-forks-200x-200cx.html

Last edited:
   / Shipping Help #2  
Hello,

I'm developing a set of lightweight pallet forks for SCUT's and trying to find an economical way to ship them to buyers. They will weight 180Lbs in total. Each fork weighs ~60Lbs and can be shipped separately. The rest of the frame weighs ~60Lbs. So far, I've been seeing estimates of around $150, which seems high. Does anyone have any insight to offer? Thanks much.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/176209-lightweight-pallet-forks-200x-200cx.html

UPS & Fed Ex both take packages up to 150 lbs but last time I checked they where very size sensitive. Not looking at your fork specs I am guessing they are around 2 ft high and 3 - 4 ft long which would make them a large ackward package for either of these companies.

Some times truck lines will take packages like this and the cost is significantly less if the receiving party can pick the package at one of their terminals. This isn't much help for people who live a long way from the terminals though.

Good luck

Roy

/ Shipping Help #3  
I know guys that ship old gas pumps and big signs using Greyhound. Supposed to be really cheap but your customers will have to pick up at the bus depot. Our local Greyhound depot is a gas station by the interstate.

/ Shipping Help #4  
Hello,

I come from the LTL industry and if they will ship outside of your region, that is a good price. Set up an account with the carrier of your choice, such as the Reliance Network, to get a higher discount. Look to see if "pallet pricing" may be the way for you to go. Make your pallets compact, yet solid, and ask if making them "top loadable" will save you even more cash. Fight to get the lowest "class" you can get. What you are making is pretty indestructible, so if they will allow you a lower class, it will cost you less.

As was mentioned, have them either drop shipped to their nearest terminal to the consignee or ship them to businesses. Residential deliveries are almost always more expensive because the customer is never prepared to unload a few hundred pounds of freight and door yards mean more time invested to get there (What do you mean you can't get a tractor trailer in here? the oil truck was just here with my heating oil!). Same deal with your shipping point. An easily accessible location will also save some moola, compared to if you are 25 miles from the nearest feeder road.

I hope this info helps you.

/ Shipping Help #5  
Hello,

Truck Freight is probably going to be the best bet. Lest than truckload (LTL). Cost will always depend on where they are going. It will range from $80 to $400 depending on the zip code and how many extra services the Consignee needs at his destination. Lift gate, Residential, Limited access, call before delivery, all add to the base cost. Every shipment will be different in cost. Ken Sweet

/ Shipping Help
Thanks, gents. I am vaguely familiar with the variables of shipping LTL, classes of freight, etc and have visited a few websites that offer online quoting. I used class 50 and entered the dimensions the best I could estimate but they only look at things as being rectangular. I'd hope that the "L" shape of the forks might warrant a lower rate and have contacted an agent at one of the companies for a more accurate quote. I'll look into the Reliance Network forthwith, thanks Haymaker.

....I just checked my email and got a response from an LTL company saying "Business to business or terminal to terminal no liftgates needed you are a class 100 for tractor attachments 5 days YRC $219.68".

Can someone help me pull my tongue back up out of my throat?!

Last edited:
   / Shipping Help #7  
I bought pallet forks-bare-used, (to make fork attachment for my tractor) from someone who advertised in "Rock and Dirt" magazine. There were several guys selling them, in any case the whole price delivered and all was $300 or so. The freight could not have been $200, must have been $100. You might contact one of them for a quote and get an idea of how they ship.

/ Shipping Help #8  
Thanks, gents. I am vaguely familiar with the variables of shipping LTL, classes of freight, etc and have visited a few websites that offer online quoting. I used class 50 and entered the dimensions the best I could estimate but they only look at things as being rectangular. I'd hope that the "L" shape of the forks might warrant a lower rate and have contacted an agent at one of the companies for a more accurate quote. I'll look into the Reliance Network forthwith, thanks Haymaker.

....I just checked my email and got a response from an LTL company saying "Business to business or terminal to terminal no liftgates needed you are a class 100 for tractor attachments 5 days YRC $219.68".

Can someone help me pull my tongue back up out of my throat?!

YRC is one of the highest. Try R & L or Vitran or Saia. After you have shipped thousands of dollars in freight charges with 1 company and they know you are going to be a steady customer, you can work your way up to a 80 % discount off list charges. Ken Sweet

/ Shipping Help #9  
I put a car rear end on a pallet, took it to several truck lines and got quotes. Ranged from about 500.00 to 545.00 to ship it truck line. Took it to the Airport in Memphis, Weighed it at Nortwest Cargo, weighed 8 pounds under their maximum weight allowed. Flew it overnight to Detroit for 200.00. Don't know what it would cost now. That was a few years ago.

/ Shipping Help #10  
I had a set of 3ph forks shipped from Agri-Supply in North Carolina to central Maine for pennies under $100