Shipping problem to improve?

/ Shipping problem to improve? #11  
Thanks gentlemen for your appreciation of my efforts. I now run the southeast, with some occasional stretches to PA, KY, LA. The trucking company I work for has me dedicated to a large paper company, so I haul a lot of paper towels and toilet paper. You really do appreciate it when I work now, don't you!!
Keeping the shiny side up,
David from jax

/ Shipping problem to improve? #12  
I was thinking about how much damage is done in shipping.

I could be just me but, i have had a bunch of orders damaged in shipping.

Recently both my Rigid chop saw and the portable stand were both damaged.

My interior doors for the new house have been damaged at least 3 times. both water heaters were damaged.

i know there have been a few more and i'm not including the orders with wrong or missing stuff.

Gotta cost a fortune.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #13  
Thanks gentlemen for your appreciation of my efforts. I now run the southeast, with some occasional stretches to PA, KY, LA. The trucking company I work for has me dedicated to a large paper company, so I haul a lot of paper towels and toilet paper. You really do appreciate it when I work now, don't you!!
Keeping the shiny side up,
David from jax

Years ago I hauled sugar from Jacksonville to London Ky. I remember the dock was right off the busy two lane road. A dock worker would come out and hold traffic while you backed into the dock.
When I wasnt hauling sugar it was peanuts out of Sylvester GA to Detroit.
Most of the general public are totally unaware of the problems truck drivers face.
Stay safe.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #14  
I used to have my Class A when I lived in CA. Mostly I just did quick runs from Sun Micro in Fremont to the Oakland Airport. I also did a lot of hossling since I loved overtime and it was easy money.

From what I've heard from friends who still drive, the problem has nothing to do with a lack of drivers. There is always a demand for more drivers, and there has always been a big turn over, but there are also plenty of drivers out there.

My understanding is that CA has put so many restrictions on the trucks that nobody wants to deal with going to the Ports there. The inspection fees and cost of diesel make it very hard to make a profit. Why go there if you can't make money? None of my friends are vaccinated, and there are places that will not let them enter if you do not have proof of vaccine. I was told that the Ports require the drivers to be vaccinated.

Another issue with only allowing trucks into the port that are 2012 or newer, is that nobody wants to invest in a new truck, when CA is saying that they are going to ban all diesel powered trucks sometime in the 2030's.

I believe this is 100% created by our government, and as long as they are in charge, it will only get worse.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #15  
I used to have my Class A when I lived in CA. Mostly I just did quick runs from Sun Micro in Fremont to the Oakland Airport. I also did a lot of hossling since I loved overtime and it was easy money.

From what I've heard from friends who still drive, the problem has nothing to do with a lack of drivers. There is always a demand for more drivers, and there has always been a big turn over, but there are also plenty of drivers out there.

My understanding is that CA has put so many restrictions on the trucks that nobody wants to deal with going to the Ports there. The inspection fees and cost of diesel make it very hard to make a profit. Why go there if you can't make money? None of my friends are vaccinated, and there are places that will not let them enter if you do not have proof of vaccine. I was told that the Ports require the drivers to be vaccinated.

Another issue with only allowing trucks into the port that are 2012 or newer, is that nobody wants to invest in a new truck, when CA is saying that they are going to ban all diesel powered trucks sometime in the 2030's.

I believe this is 100% created by our government, and as long as they are in charge, it will only get worse.
Everywhere I have ever been near a port, and small companies hire local drivers or owner ops to run to the port to grab the loads and bring them to a dropyard or a local warehouse, the trucks are usually older trucks that are too old or too many miles on them to risk sending them out on the road long haul. (Road service cost is thru the roof). So a driver goes and buys an older truck, and runs it back and forth from the port and goes home at night, or at least every other night if he delivers within a short range. Low initial investment allows him the luxury of being home at night.
Now for the other reason... DEF and the systems that have been shoved down truck owners throats. It is amazing to me as to the cost of getting anything worked on as far as the emission systems, and the parts that my trucks have needed have been hard to find. A simple DEF level indicator put my Kenworth out of commission for over 10 days, and it is a simple install. Too many of them are going bad and the industry can't get more to replace the faulty ones. A computer detects the level to make sure the idiot behind the wheel remembered to fill the DEF tank, and if the level indicator isn't working, the computer tells the truck to only run in limp mode, which is about 5 miles per hour. When mine went out, I bought several bottles of DEF and filled the tank, but alas, that didn't help. So rather than dealing with the huge expense and massive downtime the newer trucks are dealing with, owner ops are buying older trucks and spending money to redo them. When you take away the ability to use older model trucks, you loose a lot of trucks that normally would support a port. Most can't afford to make
$HUGE$ payments on their trucks, while they sit in line for a port to load them every day! A truck is only making money when the wheels are rolling, and the costs associated with trucks goes on even if you aren't moving at all. Payments, insurance, IFTA, Tags, etc!
Most owner ops know that it isn't cost effective to put a new truck hauling containers from the port to a dropyard, which is the first step of getting the cluster at the ports unloaded.
David from jax

/ Shipping problem to improve? #17  
Bad policy 101
Most truckers are freelance owner-operators, which CA outlawed by banning independent contracting. Truckers sued CA - if they lose, they’ll be decimated in the midst of a supply chain crisis.

Progressive policies created this crisis and they will make it worse.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #18  
Years ago I hauled sugar from Jacksonville to London Ky. I remember the dock was right off the busy two lane road. A dock worker would come out and hold traffic while you backed into the dock.
When I wasnt hauling sugar it was peanuts out of Sylvester GA to Detroit.
Most of the general public are totally unaware of the problems truck drivers face.
Stay safe.
There is a perfect example of freight being run by local people. They get a good paying load down to south Florida, then catch a load of sugar and bring it back to warehouses in Jax, awaiting an order to go elsewhere in the country. They don't store as much in south Florida as they used to, something about a warehouse that tried to take on a hurricane. Cheap freight to north Florida makes it worthwhile. Guy gets to go home for the night and do it all over again tomorrow!
I think anybody who has driven more than 6 months has gotten a load of peanuts out of Sylvester, lol, although i never took any to Detroit!
David from jax

/ Shipping problem to improve? #19  
If there was a shortage of trucks or truckers, there wouldn't be long waits to get loaded at a port.

Bruce
You don't know how they work.
If only two trucks showed up at a port to load that day, they would still have to wait until noon to get loaded.

/ Shipping problem to improve? #20  
You don't know how they work.
If only two trucks showed up at a port to load that day, they would still have to wait until noon to get loaded.
And that wait to get loaded and get out still wouldn't be due to a truck shortage.

If you went to a restaurant and saw a long line of customers waiting to get in, you wouldn't say they had a shortage of customers.

Bruce