Shipping vehicle cross country. Experiences?

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350
Yes. It's a 50 state legal Cummins.
Dealers on the whole west coast and Idaho are only 6-8% off msrp. I got 12.5% off from a high volume dealer. I've purchsed new vehicles from out of state a couple of times. Even though they are 50 state legal, in California you must pay $65 for a "smog certificate", and of course sales tax.
2300 miles from dealer to my place. I've done that "across Texas" trip a few times in years past. For me, I'll pay the 1300-1500 to have it shipped and save the time and headache of it all. Also, I don thinks runing a new motor at highway speeds any length of time is a good idea.

thanks impressive. what did they charge you for dealer fees?

I just got a F250 custom order. Im in NJ, and need to go to central VA. My plan is to drive my honda down, pickup a uhaul car dolly, and tow it back, the 3000 honda is 20 percent of max tow.

I was talking to a RAM dealer in KY, he changed the prices once he found out I was from out of state.

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
"Dealers on the whole west coast and Idaho are only 6-8% off msrp. I got 12.5% off from a high volume dealer."
Did you try Dave Smith in Idaho?
Did you also factor in the expense of getting it home?

"I in California you must pay $65 for a "smog certificate", and of course sales tax."
Arnt you going to have to pay that anyway when you license it when you get it home?

Frankenkubota

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I'm not suggesting you do this but.....I did. I've taken many more chances than most people I know, and i have the scars to prove it.

I rented a big u haul truck, filled up 1/2 of it with my stuff. I found a young couple moving to Phoenix, on craig's list. I was going to Scottsdale so a good fit. His wife had just been accepted to med school so i figured they were not street people.

They drove the truck pulling my little bmw on a dolly and i flew. I paid expenses. Everything worked out but, we all know, it could have gone bad.

All I could think about was that couple driving into mexico and selling everything, including the truck.

Funny part was, i picked up the truck from the kid and didn't get 3 miles down the road and ran outta fuel!

That's an option, find some one to drive it.