Shocking a dugout?

/ Shocking a dugout? #1  

summit151

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1135
Hello so I have a dig out on my land that I used as my borrow pit for clay when I was building my acreage. I would now like to be able to use it to swim and keep the water clean looking and free of tadpoles and other water bugs. My dog does swim in it often so I am not to sure what options are out there or what to use? I am also in Canada so the temperature does go from -40 Celsius to +30

/ Shocking a dugout? #2  
Morning Summit151. Can you post some pictures? As I understand it you have a clay pit that's filled up with water and you'd like to improve it to where you can swim in it. Most recommendations I've heard or read are that if you don't have water flowing in and out you should use something to aerate the water. I swam in many quarries over the years that had very clear, deep, cool water that had no flow and no aeration system. Our pond doesn't always have flow and stays pretty clear through the summer. The water does look better though when the water level is high and water is moving through. Leeches are very common in ponds around here in Maine. I think fish and water fowl control their numbers but they're there. If you have them there you may be able to control them further with traps if you want to go that route.

/ Shocking a dugout?
Hello, the dug Out is about 12 feet deep and probably 50 feet x 50 feet. I am looking to make the water clear and leech and creature free. There is no moving water in it tho

/ Shocking a dugout? #4  
Figure out approx. how many gallons and add chlorine to "swimming pool" concentration.

/ Shocking a dugout? #5  
Unlike a swimming pool constructed with concrete or a vinyl liner with the addition of circulating pumps and filters, dugouts are composed of organic matter which would require a tremendous quantity of chlorine. I would not want to swim in that water. I believe it would be downright hazardous to anyone's health.

Leaches, frogs, fish etc. are a sign of a healthier body of water. Not necessarily drinkable, but not poisonous either.

/ Shocking a dugout? #7  
Unlike a swimming pool constructed with concrete or a vinyl liner with the addition of circulating pumps and filters, dugouts are composed of organic matter which would require a tremendous quantity of chlorine. I would not want to swim in that water. I believe it would be downright hazardous to anyone's health.

Leaches, frogs, fish etc. are a sign of a healthier body of water. Not necessarily drinkable, but not poisonous either.

Not to mention if it is clay, the water will be muddy all the time.

/ Shocking a dugout? #8  
If you add air to the water it will clear up. All you need is an air pump and a soapstone to make small air bubbles. We do it all the time up here as the snow cover over winter can deplete the oxygen in the water turning the water black.