Shooting a Woodpecker.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #31  
Well maybe this is why they are endangered. I'd shoot it and patch up and paint the area of interest so the next one to come along doesn't get any birdbrain ideas.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #33  
I have a dog bark device that might work. It is sound activated and emits various ranges and intensities of noise at the victim.
Search amazon

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #34  
Now just shoot the cats...they are non native and highly invasive that destroy BILLIONS of native song birds and other native wildlife...mice are attracted to food...don't spill the food and no mice...birds just looking for shelter...install bird blocking...

I dont think my tractor wiring and upholstery are food that I have spilled.
They are vermin and the birds have a gazillion trees to nest in.
Now the possums I shoot over the cat food, well I will admit thats hunting over bait.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #35  
Now just shoot the cats...they are non native and highly invasive that destroy BILLIONS of native song birds and other native wildlife...mice are attracted to food...don't spill the food and no mice...birds just looking for shelter...install bird blocking...
I'm pretty sure you've never dealt with Flickers or Sap Suckers invading your space on things you actually want to keep nice, and mice are vermin, they need to be controlled, they're looking for a place to call home and destroy for any human use. The mice in my property are not after food, there is zero food in the heater fan of my explorers, nor the glove boxes or in the dashboards... I leave most things alone but when stuff I want is destroyed with no other choice things get taken care of, I have 8 cherry trees, there's years I don't get any cherries as they're gone before they are ripe from Starlings and blue jays... Moles, voles and gophers are also not welcome... I leave the blue heron's and coyotes alone since they at least try to get the voles and gophers... heck I've even been leaving the squirrels, Opossum and racoon alone, and the deer, but some things need controlled... if the beaver decides to strip the bark off of more trees I planted to control reed canary grass the game is going to be escalated... there's a sap sucker (or other wood pecking bird) that's drilled what looks like a 3" diameter hole a couple inches deep 1' down from the top of the power pole by my driveway, some birds are just jerks...

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #36  
They are eating bugs of some sort. Another one will just take it's place if you do shoot it.

It would be better to shoot a pecker wood than a wood pecker.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #37  
Bugs in a pressure treated or creosote pole used by a utility ? Or my green pressure treated posts that hold up my deck ? I dont think so. A 1 out of a thousand example of the species that has a mental defect, yes. The country is full of nutty people judging by how full the jails are, so why should we expect every animal species to be defect free ?

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #38  
I had the same problem and every time I would go out there, the woodpecker would fly into the wood line. I took one of my wife’s hanging plants down, went to the feed store, and bought a 24” high plastic owl. Once I attached it to the hanging plant bracket, the woodpecker disappeared - never to return. Problem solved.
I have one of those in an equipment carport. It’s a favorite perch for birds.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #39  
Birds were always trying to nest in the tractor shed. Couldnt keep up with removing nest.
Got two cats that live there now. No more birds or mice.
I tried to keep barn cats for a couple of years, but 6 months is as long as they lasted. Owls and coyotes like them for dinner.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #40  
Fun read. I had one years ago working on the corner of my bedroom (second floor above a walk out basement). Fussed at it several times to no avail. Eventually I had the screens off and windows open with the shotgun by the bed, was unable (but very willing) to kill the offender. I did manage to fill the house with flies and mosquitoes.

Could not find the bugs it was after, had a bucket truck for another project and covered the target corner in 16 gauge sheet metal, and painted to match the house. It got rid of the bird, and I like to think it hurt a little the first time he hit the steel..........

Best,

ed