Shooting a Woodpecker.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #101  
Coons are fearless. They will lure a dog out into a pond, play with it, stand on it’s head and drown it.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #102  
Coons can be quite aggressive or not depending on the individual. I've live trapped thousands some you want to pet other you shoot from a safe distance. Some will challenge a dog some will run for their life. An aggressive one will not ever quit to run. I had one fight of 2 80lbs dogs until she was shot.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #103  
I'd be worried about that racoon having rabies. It isn't normal for them to be that aggressive when they have an escape route. I've chased a mother away from her babies which were in my shed; then brought the babies outside put them in a box and walked away.
An hour later they were gone.

They thanked me a couple of months later... I went out to check my 6 pullets, to discover that I only had three. There were piles of feathers on 3 corners of the pen. I never did figure out how they got them out, there were no holes or entry wounds into the pen.
The tale of a rabid coon.

I found this guy who broke into the dog house I have next to the duck enclosure for storing straw and stuff:

PXL_20210907_154530979.MP.jpg

So I chase him out of there, and he wedges himself behind the duck enclosure:

PXL_20210907_154832939.MP.jpg

So I chase him out of there, and he tries to get back in the dog house:

PXL_20210907_154722021.jpg

So I chase him out of there again, and he goes and climbs a tree:

PXL_20210907_163119756.jpg

So I leave him be there, and 1/2 hour later, he's screwing around near my ducks. So...my .22 Marlin had something to say about that:

PXL_20210907_171845912.MP.jpg

The end.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #104  
You read about it all the time. Accidental discharge while cleaning a firearm. You know, your outback on your rear deck cleaning your shotgun and boom, it goes off, feathers everywhere, and your just happy it wasn’t you that got hit.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #105  
Is it beating on your gutters? If so he is sounding for a mate as somebody already suggested; in which case he'll stop in a week or so.
That’s exactly what has happened to us for the last 3 years! In the spring we hear the tapping in a couple of places on the house or woodshed metal and then he hooks up with a lady and gets busy making babies and the noise stops!💗☮️✌🏻

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #106  

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #107  
Our house is Hardie Board with smart wood corners. A persistent woodpecker was working on the corner and I could't seem to chase it away. I got a slingshot and used a clump of dirt for ammunition. At about a 45 degree angle to the house, I shot just to the side of the bird. The spray hit it perfectly and it flew away, never to return.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #108  
   / Shooting a Woodpecker. #109  
It's protected buy the migratory bird treaty act of 1918.

Best to commit crimes solo. People talk.

Or you could try and deter it. Plenty of suggestions can be found through Google search. Bird net is gonna catch it and any other bird if it gets behind it. Then what are you going to do?

Try the mylar balloons, or....

LOL

I used one of those to keep deer away from my blueberries. Worked like a charm. I even blasted myself a few times when I was not thinking.

/ Shooting a Woodpecker. #110  
I don't want the dumb way out of this. I have a shotgun and can solve this tomorrow. I want to get THIS bird off my roof. Without killing it. I have an Owl sentinel, which is of no use. I've cleared the gutters of anything this bird would want. Its one bird, its the same bird for three years that can live 4 to 17 years. Every morning, its the same damn bird to chase off.

3 years? that pecker wouldn't have lasted 3 days pecking at my house.